Forever and Always - Part 7

Clove's P.O.V

The next day was the test where tributes get to show their skills to the Gamemakers and are rated 1-12.  Cato and I sit in a dimly lit room with the other tributes, Glimmer and Marvel have finished their tests and were sent back to their rooms, now it's our turn.

  "Cato Hadley." An animated voice calls. 

Cato stands up and disappears into the room. I know he'll get a good score because he's had lots of training, I, on the other hand, have not. All I can do is hope that the odds are in my favor, something the Capitol loves to say.

When Cato returns, sweat trickles down his forehead. Now it's my turn as the voice calls me back. I enter into the giant empty space, a few shelves of weapons stand in front of me and the Gamemakers sit up in their perch. I know that I'm small and easily underestimated, but I have a lot that I can bring to the table. I grab a selection of throwing knives and line them up to my targets, I set the target machine onto the hardest level, that's sure to impress them. I empty my mind of all it's crazy thoughts and black out my conscious. Before I know it, I stand back and look at my knives, dug deep into the bull's-eyes of all of my moving targets. I smirk to myself before thanking the Gamemaker's for their time and escort myself out.

Back at the 2nd floor suite, Serri and Theor host us a tiny little party to celebrate the reveal of our scores. We sit on the funnily shaped couches and watch Caesar Flickerman announce District 1's scores, Glimmer and Marvel both got 9's. That's pretty impressive, but I know Cato will score higher. When Cato's face appears on the screen, the room goes dead quiet in anticipation.

"Cato Hadley, with a score of 10!" He announces.

Cato's face lights up in a nonchalant way, like he's excited but not surprised, he knew he could do it.  I smile at him and await my score.

"Clove Kentwell, her score is a 10! Great scores for 2!" Caesar announces with enthusiasm.

I got a 10? I'm slightly surprised, I didn't expect anything higher than an 8, wow. The room explodes in cheers and claps for us. Maybe I actually have a chance to win this thing.