7. Shooni

"Kill me? Why? What did I do?" Joey asked alarmed.

"You are the first born child of a witch. It was widely believed the witches sacrificed their firstborns to gain perpetual youth and enormous power. But, it was not true. It was a mere rumor spread to make the people afraid of the witches," Celia said.

"Ancient men, who were afraid, our clan would overrule them, created SHOONI, a vengeful spirit whose sole purpose was to kill the  firstborn children of the witches," Debbie said.

"It was solely created to make the public believe how merciless the witches are, killing their own children for power," Hippolyta said. 

"The tenth plague described in the Bible, the death of all the firstborns was caused by Shooni. Later, it possessed King Herod and killed all the witch's firstborn children when Jesus was born," Hippolyta said.

"Wait. You mean to say Jesus was on of us?" Joey asked.

"Yes. Numerous great men from Alexander to Confucius were. Like I told, we were super intelligent mutants. Shooni revolved the world and created such massacres throughout. In India, it is widely believed it took the form of Demon Kamsha and killed all the firstborn children while Lord Krishna was born. In China, it.....," Celia's continuation was interrupted by the impatient police officer again.

"OK. Why did it come here now?"

Debbie sighed and turned to Joey, "Shooni will be very strong when a witch conceives her first child. During the Napoleonic era, the witches helped him over throw the corrupt aristocrats and conquer the throne. He gave us numerous benefits in turn. It was the start of a new wave of feminism and a society were everybody were looked upon as equals."

"The witches no longer lived in fear. They started to mingle with the people without fear. But, Shooni killing their children was a major problem for them. A group of witches sacrificed themselves sealing Shooni inside that revolving clock and left it in the possession of a church. The witches all around the world cherished their first newborns without fear from then. And you opened that clock today," Debbie said. 

"Why did the spirit take Daniel? Why didn't it kill Joey directly?" the police officer asked. 

"Joey is a witch. He is mighty strong. Spirits can enter him only if they touch his head and get permission from him to enter his body," Rumi said. 

"Is it like inviting the vampires into the house?" the police officer asked. 

"Yes. Exactly. That's why it took Daniel and tried to kill Joey through him. It is weak now as it has been imprisoned for a very long time. That's why Daniel was able to resist it. Shooni needs the strength of a living soul. It will grow stronger by hour," Celia said. 

Joey looked terrified, "Mother, you never told me anything earlier. My powers manifest without my control sometimes. That's what happened today. It is not my fault I opened the clock."

"It isn't. But, you have to pay the price. Shooni came to you knowing you are powerful enough to let it out. It tried to kill you through Daniel. It tried to suffocate you, poisoned your food and stab you. The poor boy had resisted it's influence with all his might. That's why it kept punishing him by burning his hand, hitting his head on the wall....," Celia explained. 

"You mean, he will feel the pain?" the police officer asked. 

"Indeed he will. It is his body that gets damaged. He is a prisoner. The last attempt was practically suicide as Daniel thought killing himself will save Joey," Debbie said. 

Joey started sobbing, "Danny, what have you done? You were ready to die for me? All because of me," he turned and pounced on his mother, "you should have at least warned me about this. You should have thought me to control my powers."

Debbie hugged him, "I tried to teach you when you were young Joey. Your father did not know anything about my ancestry. He loved you dearly. You started giving life to the sculptures he made when you were two. He got terrified and fled with Nicole who was just a newborn. His absence crushed you. You missed him terribly. You thought everything was your fault. I did not want to confuse you further. I just wanted you to explore your limits on your own."

"Father loved you dearly Joey. Most of his sculptures resemble only you," Nicole said.

"Sculptures? You told me my father was a carpenter," Joey looked at Debbie questioningly.

"He worked with wood most of the time. But, he was a master sculptor. I fell in love with Joe admiring his skill," Debbie's eyes teared up.

"He is Jonathan Gary. He changed his name and identity after leaving mother. But, he never fell for another woman. He grew me up, telling me I should join the convent, afraid I might start inheriting her powers. He wanted me to become a nun. I was fine with the idea until he told me about you and mother, in his death bed," Nicole said.

"Jonathan Gary, the world famous sculptor," Joey remembered Daniel often teasing him he looked like a Jonathan's statue. "I am going to ask that bugger for royalty," Joey will joke with him.

"I wanted to come back to you. I did not know how. I did not have any powers like you. I just couldn't walk up to you or mom and say I am your long lost sister. It seemed naive. I heard you and Daniel were searching for a surrogate mother for your baby. I volunteered. I wanted to get in touch with you somehow," Nicole explained.

"Hell broke loose when she got pregnant. You are a witch's male first born with abundant powers. Nicole, another witch conceived your first born. Shoonie just couldn't resist. It had to find a way into your life somehow," Hippolyta said.

"Nicole is pregnant..... with my.... our child?" Joey asked unbelievably.

If you like the Story, please vote. Leave your comments. I love to hear the comments from the readers. 

Daniel had attempted to save Joey even it means ending his own life. What do you think about it? Leave your comments below. 

How will Joey try to save their child and his lover? Who will help him? Will his own dark side become his obstacle?