Chapter:4

At lunch we were refined to stay inside the building. I have no clue what possessed Knox to sit beside me and have his group with us too. I looked around the cafeteria seeing rivalry everywhere. "Hey the art fair just covers this school doesn't it?" I asked Knox. "Yeah why?" he asked. "Everywhere I look I see rivalry, not just vehicle brands, two schools, two different sports teams for each sport, everything in this school except for the academics is rivalry brought into one building." I said.

"Your point?" He asked with a mouth full of food. "Your Chevy belongs in a dump." I stated blankly. "And your ford belongs on the bottom of the deepest lake where they all belong." He stated back. "Point proven. A dodge person would argue back with both of us saying that our vehicles should be burned and never driven again." I said. "And we'd argue back saying their vehicle is a piece of crap." He said.

"Another point proven. Everyone has something in common with another person, but is letting their pride and the rivalry stand between them." I said. "So you do have a brain in that pretty little head of yours." He said. "Next is deciding how we want to do the art work." I said.

~~~~~~~~

I was lucky to be off on Saturday to work on my truck and the project. I invited Knox over so I could do both. At the moment I was trying to remove the old engine. "Let me guess a 73' ford f-100 that won't run." I looked back seeing Knox. "It will when I'm done with it." I said moving the engine to the side to the bench. I sat down on a stool taking it apart. "Looks like a classic." He said. "That's because it is. I got it for my sixteenth birthday after I told my dad I could get it up and running." I said.

"And your still trying." He smarted off. "Nope. Just haven't been able to work on it with my wrist." I said. "So what's the plan?" He asked. "First lets take a vote on car brands among our peers. That should be one third of it. Then we take a vote on sports or academics. Next we asked which sport or class is preferred. Finally we throw it all together covered by a color representing both schools." I said.

"And how are we supposed to do that?" He asked. "Our friends, and the teachers." I said. "And have it all on one page and have our friends help us tally it up and put it together like a work of art!" He said. "Now your thinking. Its going to take us until the art fair to get it finished. First thing is the ballot." I said. I got off the stool. "We can go to the living room and get on the laptop and create it. First before I even walk through the house, my mom's rule not mine is that I have to shower before sitting on any piece of furniture or the floor. She absolutely hates what is tracked in from the garage." I said.

"Sounds like my mom." He said. "My dad fell in love with a city woman and brought her out to the country. She wants to go shopping every weekend and waste gas on going." I said. "So how did you turn into a tomboy?" He asked. "My dad was the more dominant parent in my childhood. My sister is the complete opposite of me." I said. We got to the front porch and I took my boots off. "She may yell at me for walking through the house with filthy clothes on but I don't care." I said rolling up the pants legs of my jeans.

We walked into the house. I greeted my dad and let Knox sit down to chat with him. I got a quick shower  before going back to the living room and sitting down at the laptop. I went into Microsoft word and typed up a rough draft of our ballot. "How does this look?" I asked him. "Looks nice. All we have to do is get it printed and get the teachers to pitch in." He said. "You know the teachers better than I do so I'll let you handle that." I said. "Deal."