chapter 21

Mariah POV

The company had asked me to plan an even for Chris. It was going to be a huge celebration of his 100000th year in the industry. It was at a big club and he was going to perform a song or two amd then the rest of the time he could just party. Not only was he celebrating, but he was also profiting. Hence the performance.

His friends and family as well as some other artists, vixens, and people from our company were there.

Of course August had brought his beautiful wife. She looked like a goddess. How he get her? She seems like she'd be with a rich white man or something.

I brought my sister with me. Jayceon didn't want to come of course cause it had to do with Chris and they probably wpuld have ended up fighting anyway. Best to keep them apart.

"This was a nice turn out. This place is niiice. I think me and bae gon get marrird here." She said refering to Chris' drum player who was getting them drinks.

"Yes this was amazing. This olace is beautiful. I might have to book you fot my next party. Let me go tell Aug." Zhan'e said begore quickly walking away to go find him.

I was stuck drinking gingerale. It had been months since I'd had a drink and I was damn near shaking around all this alcohol. Usually, Jayceon and I were together at my house, so when I wanted a drink, he'd comfort me to take my mind off of it.

"Thanks. It took a while to find this venue. Nobody really wanted to let us rent theirs cause its for Chris and they said hes a liability." I rolled my eyes.

"Hell he is. He always doing some shit." Mya said. I shook my head as her boyfriend walked back over to her with a glass of champagne.

My mouth watered at the sight of alcohol. I hadn't had any in a while and I missed it. But I knew my sobriety mattered more than fulfilling a craving. I looked away, but everyone around me had a glass of alcohol in their hand. I closed my eyes, trying to build up a wall against my longing for alcohol.

For Jayceon.

"Girl whats wrong? Is it the alcohol?" She asked.

I nodded unable to speak becausemy mouth was watering so much. She patted me on the back. 

"Lets go outside. You need some fresh air." She spoke quickly.

I nodded again as she explained to her boyfriend that we needed to go outside. She lead the way but we were stopped by one of the waitresses bolding a tray of champagne.

"Champange?" She offered.

"No and tell all the other waitressds not to come up to her with that shit." Mya snapped. We quickly made our way outside. Her pushing through the crowd and me gasping for air.

"Oh my god." I finally managed after I swallowed all the saliva that had flooded my mouth.

"You okay?" She asked.

"Yeah.... I didn't think about how I would react seeing all the alcohol." I sighed.

"Thats why Jayceon should have been here. He too busy being pettu and childish over a nigga thats not even thinking about him. He needs to be here supporting and comforting you." She fussed.

"Don't do that Mya. He's done so kuch for me already and this would have been a disaster had he come because him and Chris would have been fighting and shit." I defended my man.

"He needs to rise above all that Chris shit. Plus, thats dumb of him to let you go alone to a place with a guy who is obsessed with you." She rolled her eyes. "Speaking of the devil here his evil ass come." She said as she saw Chris walking over to me.

"Hey Mariah." He said when he got close enough.

"Hey." I spoke dryly.

"Why y'all out here?" He asked.

"None of your business-" I cut Mya off.

"I just needed some fresh air. No biggy." I said quickly not making eye contact with him.

"Okay...well I'm Bout to perform so we gotta go backstage so they can praise you for making this lit ass party possible." He smiled. I couldn't help but smile too and blush a little.

"I'll see you inside." I told Mya.

"You sure?" She asked.

"Yeah. Go on inside." I told her.

"Fine. But you got your phone. Text me if you need me." She said before turning and walking away.

"Come on." He put his arm out. My dumb ass instinciltively took it and he walked me into the building.

It was something about tonight that had put my walls down towards Chris. Maybe it's because deep down I did feel some type of way that Jayceon hadn't come with me. I don't know. Either way, I let Chris lead me backstage without a solid word.

He took me to the back room and I sat down on the couch. He sat down beside me.

"Look, I know I haven't always been the best towards you, but I wanna say thank you for the effect that you've had on my life. And I know you can't have anything alcoholic. I figured you'd stopped drinking when you didn't have a flask with you on your desk anymore." He spoke.

I was speechless. He had read me like a book. Something inside me wanted to hug him and foregive him, but another part wanted to fight the feeling.

"Imma go perform now. Ain't no alcohol back here. Just juice and soda. Its some snacks too. Enjoy." He gave me a quick hug and got up and was about to walk out.

"Wait." I stood up.

"Wassup?" He turned to look at me.

"I- I want us to be friends." I stuttered.

"I do too. Thats all up to you." He said walking back up to me.

Our eyes met and I became mesmorised looking into his dark brown orbs. Suddenly, he leaned down and put his lips to mine. The next thing I knew, we were having a full on makeout session. A loud snap and flash of light suddenly interrupted us.

We pulled away and looked to see a guy wearing all black turn and run away. I gasped knowing I was in for a shit load of trouble.

"Oh my god." I out my hand to my chest. Chris quickly ran after the guy, I really hoped he caught him.

I sat down and put my face on my hands. I can't believe this shit just happened like this. I knew I should have let my sister come with me. Damn every time I let my walls down something happens. Every single time.

Half an hour later after Chris performed, I was being honored for my hard work in putting this whole thing together. I smiled and waved trying to hide the horrified feeling that I had at the pit of my stomach.

Soon, the party started to come to an end and everyone was leaving. Chris stopped me as I was looking for my sister.

"You good? You all tense." He said.

"Did you find him? Did you get him?" I asked.

"Nah that bitch made nigga got away. Fuck. I'm so sorry Mariah. I didn't want things to get this far out of hand." He apologised.

"Its fine." I said quickly as even more fear hit me. I had to get away from him. I didn't want him to see me have an anxiety attack.

Ten minutes later, I was in the car with Mya and her boyfriend. Mya was in the backseat with me trying to keep me calm. I was currently doing a mixture of crying and having an anxiety attack. I gasped for air and fanned myself with one hand while tightly squeesing Mya"s hand with the other.

"Just try to stay calm. Breathe in and out." She said calmly as she rubbed my back.

"I-... can't!" I cried out through gasps

"Yes you can. Listen, I'm sure you can just tell him its photoshopped." She tried to reassure me.

"He's not gonna believe me! He's gonna leave me!" I managed to get out through my struggles to breathe.

I really didn't want to lose Jayceon. I would do anything to keep him from seeing those pictures. Hopefully I could keep it from him forever.