Hope and Presents

Chapter 16

We landed on the balls of our feet and sped off. We ran towards the woods. Our feet pounded against the ground, we ducked low branches, and jumped over stray logs. We just ran, not really paying attention to where we were going. We had been sprinting for about 20 minutes, when I decided to stop.

Jackson stopped as well but didn't turn to face me.

"Why do this to me, Catherine?" he whispered. I reached into my pocket and pulled out the three metal spheres Hansel had given me before. I rolled one behind me and two to my sides. Soon, Jackson and I were surrounded by a soft blue cloud.

"Jackson, I'm so sorry," I whispered back and he turned to face me.

"You knew and you didn't tell me," he accussed, pointing a finger at me. That's when I really noticed it. The pain he was in. He had fallen in love with Ruby. It was at that point that I promised myself that I will do the impossible for my brother to be happy. To be with Ruby.

"I thought I would have more time but don't worry! I know how to fix this," I said quickly. I will make this right.

"How?" he laughed humorlessly.

"There must be something that can forbid her from marrying you. And I swear to you Jackson, I will find out what that is," I swore to him.

"What are you going to find out? That she isn't a virgin? Yeah, that's really going to be a wedding stopper," Jackson grumbled under his breath. I walked up to him and slapped him.

"Snap out of it! You aren't going to get married against your will!" I yelled at him cupping his cheeks and looking him in the eyes.

"I won't allow it," I said slowly. Jackson closed his eyes. He opened them again and his eyes began to water.

"How am I suppose to tell Ruby? I love her, Cath! I can't lose her," Jackson whispered vulnerably.

"Then, don't tell her. Be with her. Be selfish and pursue what your heart wants. Break the rules, Jackson. That's the only way right now. And until I find a motive that will cancel your wedding, meet her in secret. Love her in secret."

"What if she one day finds out about my arranged marriage?"

"Tell her the truth: it's against your will and I'm trying to find an alibi," I answered smoothly. I sat down on the ground and sighed. I groaned and threw myself flat on my back.

"How's your hand?" Jackson asked me. I pulled my hand to my view and inspected the white cloth. I began removing the cloth and gasped when I saw my hand. It was completely healed.

"It should've left a scar," I said aghast. Who healed me? Jackson sat down next to me and inspected my hand.

"It was nicely healed. Whoever healed you, did a very nice job," Jackson appraised.

"Yeah," I agreed lost in thought. Who healed me? Hansel... no it couldn't be him. He's an energy drainer like I and vampires could only have one gift. The only vampires to have more than 1 gift were the Royals. And Hansel couldn't be a Royal... could he?

"What's this?" Jackson asked, pulling me out of my reverie. He gestured with his chin to the blue cloud around us. I shrugged.

"I call it the Safe Haven," I replied admiring the cloud surrounding us, "It's one of Hansel's cool gadgets."

"Cool gadget, ey?" Jackson asked laughing. I looked at him and saw that he was laughing his ass off. I frowned, what did I say?

I smacked his arm as I realized what he was laughing about, "Jackson!" I blushed beet red.