The Exchange

Chapter 21

It's been two days since I found out about Hansel's true identity. It's been two days since I've found a solution to Jackson's engagement. It's been two painful days of training with the army and seeing Hansel, yet not being able to approach him. I try fooling myself by telling myself that his presence doesn't affect me, but it's all a lie.

I need him like I need air. Whenever I am sparring with someone, and I catch him starring at me, I lose focus. My momentary distraction earned me a broken rib today. Serves me right.

We sent Romero the threat letter the night of my 'kidnapping'. The letter simply explained that if the witch wasn't freed by the next 48 hours, Catherine would die. They even sent him a lock of my hair to prove "Baby Doll's" point. If you ask me, living three lives is difficult.

There's Catherine, the damsel in distress. She's a weak woman who managed to catch Romero's attention and became his woman.

There's Catherine, the SSS Agent and SSS Army Leader. She's a complete badass who won't take shit from anyone. She has had to work hard to get her reputation considering the fact that she is a woman. Most women stay away from the battle field, so when newbies enter the SSS they try to act 'smart' with her. Jokes on them when their ass is served in a silver plate in front of them.

Then there's Baby Doll, the rogue who lost her humanity. Baby Doll was once a kind hearted vampire until her father molded her into a killing machine. Baby Doll was gifted with her name because that would be men's petname for her. She's a legend that no one wants to encounter considering the fact that hardly anyone survives an encounter. And those who do, live to tell the tale of the ruthless woman with no heart.

Three separate women. Three different identities. Yet all the same person, something only a very few know.

"Got it?" Jackson asked me. I looked up at him.

"Huh?"

"Geesh, Cath! Snap out of it. I'm only going to explain this one last time so listen well," Jackson ordered. We were currently in one of the Planning and Strategizing rooms.

"Romero is going to free Ashley in 1 hour. Ashley has been ordered to take refuge with Benjamin for a few days before she is transported back to Prima Lucé. You will be given back to Romero in 2 hours, right after we make sure that Ashley is safe," Jackson informed me.

"Got it," I said. Jackson sighed and began pacing.

"Romero will receive a trackless message indicating where he could find you. We will drop you off in the middle of the woods two hours away from Romero's mansion. You are to say that Baby Doll-" he said.

"Sent him a message. If he doesn't give up his evil plot then everything will be destroyed," I rolled my eyes, "I got that part."

"Right. At least now we will be able to know Romero's purpose behind creating an army once Ashley returns to HQ," Jackson mumbled to himself.

"And then I will finally be able to snap Romero's neck in half!" I exclaimed, excitedly. Jackson stopped pacing.

"You can't kill him, he is to be brought here for interrogation," Jackson ordered.

"Ugh! Fine! I promise to not kill him," I submitted and then stood up from my chair.

"Good," Jackson said curtly.

"But Baby Doll doesn't promise anything," I smirked and exited the room. I began heading to my room. I was putting the same clothes I wore two days ago because I had to continue the facade that I was kidnapped. I entered my room and began getting ready.