Consequences

Chapter 30

The whole front lawn was littered with dozens of black trucks. I wonder why... I cut off the car's engine in front of the mansion. I glanced at the mansion and saw the foyer's lights were on. I exited my car the same time as Hansel and walked up the porch steps. I swung the door open and my body tensed once I noticed that everyone was here. Every single one of Romero's men in California were standing in a huge circle in the foyer, Romero right in the center of the circle.

Shit.

"Romero I-" I began but was interrupted.

"It's about time you show up," he growled and glared at me.

"Romero I'm so sorry, I lost track of time-" I began.

"Shut up, I don't want to listen to any of it," Romero hissed. His hands were clenched at his sides and his hair was pointing in all angles from running his hand through his hair too much.

"I'm sorry," I whimpered and pouted my lip knowing that it would soften him up. It worked, his eyes softened as he opened his arms wide, gesturing me to go to him. I ran across the hall and when I neared him Romero lifted his hand and slapped me. The hard impact caused me to loose my footing and I slid across the tiled floor. I held my cheek and looked up at him, my eyes watering.

"Where the fuck were you?!" he shouted at me.

"Romero, I'm sorry!" I cried and stood up on shaky feet. Romero swung at me again and I fell to the floor.

"TELL ME!" he commanded. I looked up at him through tearful eyes.

"I was in town hunting!" I shouted. His black eyes turned into a coal black and he lifted me off the ground.

"Don't lie to me you bitch! You weren't in town! I searched for you there and you weren't there so you better fucking tell me where the hell you were before I kill you!" he growled at my face. I whimpered. As I opened my mouth to speak, Romero inhaled deeply and took in my scent.

"Why do you smell different? Who were you with?! You were with a male weren't you?! You fucking Bitch!" he gripped my hair and lifted his hand to hit me again.

It happened in slow motion. I saw him raise his hand and I tried to escape his grip by scratching at his hands. But his grip on my hair was too strong. As the realization came to me that I couldn't block his hit I closed my eyes in fear, waiting for the impact. For the impact that never came.

"I did not bring her to you so you could abuse her," Hansel snarled at Romero as he held the hand that was meant to hit me. Romero glared at Hansel.

"Ms. Catherine did nothing wrong. She went to Nightingale's Nightclub to hunt. When I arrived she was seated alone, no male was with her," Hansel lied. Romero continued to glare at Hansel. It seemed like an eternity passed before Romero sighed. Hansel let go of Romero's hand.

"You're right. I'm sorry, my love. Just the idea that you could be with another man... It infuriates me, it sickens me and fills me with fury," he growled and cupped my cheek. My body was shaking, if it was from rage or because I was scared, I will never know.

"Romero I'm so sorry, I got bored and I decided to go hunting. I didn't plan on you coming home early or else I wouldn't have gone out at all," I rambled.

"Why were you out alone?" Romero growled lowly, ignoring my apology.

"What?" I asked before I processed what Hansel had said before... He said something about James taking care of me...

"I said why were you the fuck out in the streets freaking alone?!" he barked and raised his hand to hit me. Hansel cleared his throat.

"Right," Romero mumbled to himself and let his hand fall to his side.