Chapter 6: Learning Disabilities

There's not much t v shows out there that has a representative for a learning disability in the cast. Criminal Minds, Graceland, Pretty Liars, and Switched At Birth. I hold these few characters close to my heart because they are just like me : Reid, Mike, Claire , and Daphne. A learning disability is a condition giving rise to difficulties in acquiring knowledge and skills to the level expected of those of the same age, especially when not associated with a physical handicap.

We were all placed in the ESE program. ESE stands for Exceptional Student Education. Children with disabilities who need specially designed instruction and related services are called Exceptional Student Education. The special help they are given at school is called [ESE]. An example of one the service that we receive is extra time when we are taking tests.

 An example of one the service that we receive is extra time when we are taking tests

Mike was diagnosed with ADHD as kid. Attention Deceit Hyper Activity Disorder is a medical condition that affects how well someone can sit still, focus, and pay attention. During childhood he had a therapist and took meds. These are usually put on  timers.  In Graceland they never put that in his file. We found out from Briggs. This hurdle is overcome by the time he finishes high school. He went onto become an undercover agent for the FBI.

I was diagnosed with a speech impairment. Theseare a difficulty in speaking caused by nervousness or physical problem. My curedidn't include taking meds like my twin. Speech Pathology Is a field of the healthsciences dealing withthe evaluation of speech, language, andvoice disorders andthe rehabilitation of patients with suchdisorders not amenableto medical or surgical treatment.12 years of speech classes during school hours. Additional classes were addedin Junior high. Just like my mentor in the paragraph above I followed in his footsteps.

Deafness the condition of lacking the power of hearing or having impaired hearing. Mel got sick and in the result of that became deaf. She wears hearing aids in both ears. Fiona is her interpreter. My goddaughter plays the role of our analyst at Graceland.

Everyone in Graceland has a different degree of closeness with each other. Our learning disabilities give us the extra points in the closeness department. The houses have an implied nickname for us The Three Musketeer because we are always found together no matter what once she is at Graceland.

 The houses have an implied nickname for us The Three Musketeer because we are always found together no matter what once she is at Graceland

ESE classes are smaller than most classrooms. This gives the teacher an opportunity to give the students one on one attention that they require. A standard classroom size is 18 students. Learning curbs are very different. All ESE students have IEPS. IEP plan is a document that is developed for each public school child who needs special education. The IEP is created through a team effort, reviewed periodically. ... In Canada and the United Kingdom, an equivalent document is called an Individual Education System.

Regular classes are usually bigger than their counterpart. Mainstreaming, in the context of education, is the practice of educating students with special needs in regular classes during specific time periods based on their skills. ... Access to a special education classroom, often called a "self-contained classroom or resource room", is valuable to the student with a disability. A SPED teacher is appointed for the ESE students.