The Only Copy in Town

It was a peaceful morning in the little village. The sun rose over the horizon, and the sky was filled with oranges, pinks, and some red.

A door opened slowly in the middle of the small village, and a pink hedgehog came out wearing a little red dress with a white apron tied around her waist. Her hair was tied into a braid with a red ribbon in the shape of a bow.

The girl skipped around a bit as she looked around the early morning market. It was so peaceful in the morning, then around noon. She smelled the air. It was a bit misty with rain and the smell of goodies baked at the bakery." Good morning Amy!" Yelled a crocodile wearing a leather apron around him with some tools on it. Amy jumped but then smiled " Good morning Mr. Vector." She says in a calm, sweet voice. Vector smiles happily " what are you doing out here so early ?" He asks as he walks beside her. She shrugs slightly " oh, only doing some errands, nothing much, and maybe going to the bookstore after," she says. Vector made a sour expression " never really liked reading. Still, I'm glad you do, Ms.Amy. You're an amazing reader." Amy smiles happily " why thank you, Vector. I'll see you later." She says, walking away while waving at him.After a while, other villagers were moving around, opening up their shops, or going on a market hunt.

Amy softly hummed to herself as she looked through the marketplace, looking at meat, veggies, and fruit. Amy's eyes shifted slightly to the right, making sure no one noticed her. She slowly made her way to a small bookstore. She opened the door and snuck in.

Amy looked around the tiny bookshop, her fingers going across the spines of the books. A smile spread across her lips, feeling at home in a humble place. The silence was broken by an older man's voice " ah, it's always good to see the only bookworm in this town.." Amy jumped slightly as she turned around and looked at the old shopkeeper. She smiled at him " it's good to see you again, sir." Looking back to the books, she says, " Is there anywhere new my mind can travel?" She asks. The shopkeeper walked over and looked at his fine collection " hmmm, not today... but whatever happened to the book I lent to you the other day?" Amy then had a puzzled look, her mind going off to yesterday. Whatever happened to the book she was reading yesterday. " um... I am still trying to figure out what happened to the book... I might have misplaced it... I'm very sorry if I lost it.." she says sadly. The old man patted her back and shook his head " it's alright, dear child. We all misplace things now and again." He says, smiling making Amy feel cheerful again." You can always reread one of the books you would love to revisit."

Amy smiles hugely " oh, thank you so much, sir!" She says as her head looks to the bookshelf. Soon picking out and sliding out a rose-red book with gold lettering. The man sighs and asks," rereading Sleeping Rose, are we?" He asks and looks at the book. Amy blushes deeply and nods " I can't help it.... Magic spells, daring sword fights, far-out places, and a prince in disguise.." she says, hugging the book and spinning around with it.

The shopkeeper smiles " well if you like it so much, it's yours." Amy stops and looks at the man " sir, you can't mean it... I can't keep this book.. this is the only copy you have.." she says as he touches the book. " Amy, this may be my only copy.. but who in this bloody village would read and love the story as much as you do... " Amy looks down at the book and smiles softly, soon looking up at him " thank you, sir.. I will take good care of this book more than anything.." she says happily.

Soon waving to the owner and walking out of the little bookshop.

The day was going off as usual. Amy swayed her arms back and forth with a book in hand. But, soon, she felt eyes on her. She opened her book and began to read. People smirked and whispered about the poor woman.Soon a horse was heard and was pulled into the village. A man that was green wearing a black jacket with a white shirt. He was known as the village hero. Scrouge the hedgehog. He gives a flashing smirk to some ladies that swoon at it. Amy rolls her eyes and continues walking off in a different direction.

Scrouge gets off and mounts his horse. A yellow fox gets off another horse shortly after following the man" Scrouge, that was a fantastic hunt today!" He says happily as Scrooge smirks, " I know, Tails." Soon he lifted up his hand, looking at his fingers. " but a true hunter like myself hasn't gone after the big game." He says, moving his hand and seeing Amy far off.

Tails raised an eyebrow and made a face" You mean Ms.Rose...aren't you?" The man glares at him " Of course, she is the most beautiful girl in town.." he says, stroking back his quills and licking his lips.

Amy walks around, trying to keep away from the so-called hero. But, soon, her mind wanders off, thinking about what happened to the book she was reading. It was a lovely tale about a woman raised horribly by her stepmother but soon saved by a fairy godmother and got a happy ending. She sighs softly.

As Amy was walking, she stopped as something was pushed into her face. She jumps to see that it is a bunch of different flowers. " Amy, it's wonderful seeing you again." She felt something twist in her stomach " oh, hello.. Scrooge.." as she walked backward out of the mess of flowers.Scrooge smiled as he looked her up and down. Amy gives him a fake smile " May I ask why you have flowers?" Scrooge then smirks and holds them up to her " Oh, there for you, of course.. but if you want something more beautiful in your home, I could come over.."Amy shakes her head " I'm sorry, Scrooge... but not tonight.." she says, trying to get past him. Scrooge stood there with a hand full of flowers. He turns around, watching her leave. Amy shook her head as she was out of sight of Scrooge.Amy then gets to her doorstep and opens it slowly. When walking in, she sees her father sitting at his desk, working on something. Amy smiles softly as she strolls up to him.