Chapter 17

Chapter 17:

Niall's POV

I peer in Shelby's room as she sits on the bed talking on the phone. I can't see her face. 

"why? I thought you liked him?" she seems confused. 

"Oh."

"No mum, you can't do that." She says, quivering, as if she's crying. 

"But-" 

"Mum, I love him." She says angrily, but quietly. 

"I understand. Love you too, bye." She sobs as she hangs up and throws her phone.

When she runs into the bathroom, I follow her. But stop at the ajar door, not wanting her to see me. She sits down on the toilet, tears streaming down her face. I am about to go in when I see her holding a silver blade against her wrist. 

"Shelby no!" I rush in and slap the blade out of her hand and it falls to the floor. 

"What are you doing?" she says quietly and surprised. 

"What am I doing? What are you doing?" I almost yell, I guess that was a bad idea. The tears start falling out of her eyes freely and I pull her into a massive hug. When we part I grab her hand and lead her to into the bedroom. 

"Shelby... you said you'd try to stop..." I say quietly as she looks at the floor. 

"I know. But it's hard. I-I can't do it." she sniffles. "My mum... she wants me to come home."

"What? Why? You've only been here for one night!" I argue. 

"I know. But she saw the hate... like on twitter. She says it's too much pressure on me." she says quietly. 

"No, Shelby I love you, you can't leave." I say, grabbing her chin and forcing her to look at me. 

"Niall, maybe she's right." she whispers. 

I am surprised. In shock. I take my hand off her chin and just study her eyes. They are full of pain and sadness. Not the usual happy light like when I first met her. 

"It's a lot of stress for me. And you too... you've been losing fans ever since they found out."

I couldn't talk. I didn't want her to leave. I loved her. 

"Um, my mum got the plane ticket already. I'm leaving tonight. I'm sorry Niall." 

"But Shelby.." I manage to stutter. 

"Niall it’s for the best. From now till then I’m staying with my uncle." she says as she starts packing her stuff. 

"But I don't want you to leave." I say quietly. 

"Niall. I'm leaving and that's final." she snaps, back turned to me. 

I don't know what to do. I walk out of the bedroom and shower, I need to clear my head. When I get out, she is already heading out the front door. 

"Wait! Aren't you going to say goodbye?" I say, running over to her, passing through the lounge and seeing the sleeping boys.

"I love you Niall, I always did." she says as she leans up to kiss my cheek. "I'll see you around okay?" she says, then walks out. 

"Bye." I whisper as she gets in the car. 

I walk back into the lounge, trying to wrap my head around this. I sit on the couch beside Louis. He stirs and rolls over, falling off the couch. Normally, I would laugh at something like this, but I guess I’m too depressed.

“What’s wrong with you?” he asks, rubbing his bum.

“Nothing.” I mumble, lie.

“Ya right. Tell me.” he says sitting back on the couch.

I look down at the floor and rub my hands together. “Shelby... um, she left.”

“Left? Where? Why?” he asks, nudging Harry awake.

“She went home.” I say, not making eye contact.They just stare at me in astonishment.