Chapter 4

Savannah's Pov:

Trust is a big word trapped within a few small letters. Five common letters that anyone who could spell quite often found irrelevant. Yet, trust was the phenomenal difference between life and death when taken beyond its spelling.

This girl, Katelyn, had screamed trust me, that or naivety, either way, my conscience seemed calm around her. She led me through the woods to her hidden fort.

From the outside, it was yet another old stump from a tree long gone. When Katelyn had gone inside I watched with amusement. The stump surely was nothing special, but when she got me to go inside I could see why she hid here.

Once inside I could see the thousands of rings along the tree signalling its age. It had died after centuries of growth after the oil era, but not recently. The hole we had climbed into was deeper then I credited it for considering the size and space of this area.

Roots kept the dirt walls from crumbling inwards while supporting the stump itself. From the sweet aroma of overripe berries, I could tell that Katelyn had a secret stash of berries hidden amongst the roots somewhere.

Katelyn had barely finished introducing herself before she started talking to me like we were old friends. Our conversations mostly were stories about her life considering I never enjoyed talking. She didn't appear to mind though.

             Our conversation continued until the light streaming through the cracks in the roots began to fade. A demonic shriek of fury filled my ears as a woman screamed Katelyn's name. Katelyn looked over towards the entrance while biting her lip.

"That's my mom, I've got to go before she kills me." Katelyn murmured as though the woman were directly outside although we only heard it because of our enhanced hearing.

"Perhaps we'll meet again," I spoke cheerily while trying to lift the suddenly low mood in the fort. Katelyn smiled and wrapped her arms around my neck.

"You're the best friend." She whispered before letting me go and teleporting out of the fort. Friend? Neither of us had ever really had friends, and certainly, there were better people to be friends with. Yet again it seemed as though she was not allowed to speak with anyone.

               I ran home to find my mother calling for me. She saw me and hugged me before grabbing my hand and dragging me towards the house. Our conversation was short and sweet as she hugged me and looked me over for wounds. Once she was certain of the fact that I was truly fine she said goodnight and disappeared into her bedroom.

I read for many hours before Lily started crying. Her cries echoed throughout the hollow walls as no one answered her. I snuck from my room to find mom collapsed on her bed unconscious. The baby was twisting and turning in her box as no one came to reassure her.

"Hush Lilith!" I soothed while picking her up. Her cries quickly became coos as she poked my eyes and nose. Mom clearly needed the rest so I telepathically carried the crib to my room where I continued to gently whisper to the baby. Her grey eyes happily grabbed for my hair as a piece waved in front of her face.

              It was a wonder that the infant didn't fear my glowing hair and eyes. Rather she seemed to enjoy the natural nightlight. Apparently, my glowing hair was best in her mouth and the moment was soon destroyed by baby saliva.

~=•=~

A/N:

               Lily makes me smile when I think of her.

              What did you think of this chapter?

            Please vote and leave a comment!

Dee☺️