Chapter 17, Talk of Getchuglz (re1)

"Y- You! How was I not ever made aware of this?" Elizara put a hand to her bottom lip, her fingers tracing her chin. 
    "Hmph. You were always reading books and admiring the sky, dear Eli. Nonetheless, I'm sure you're aware by now, that if we go to Polidoria and ask for assistance... on dealing with the Gulnaya, that Grace's or Daniel's stubborn selves will attempt to rally up a team in the meanwhile. A human-team is unavoidable." 
     "Lord, we wouldn't even be needing a team of our own brethren from Polidoria if you just dropped this act of being selfless! You fell weak when Pimalygos attacked, because you need to suck the love out from a human already!" 
      I raised my eyebrows. "Hmph. Expend all the energy you want in your protests, I'm not going back to that life. However, as of last night, I finally figured out how I truly can start living a balanced lifestyle... between my morals and my irreducible rascality." My lips turned moist as my tongue ran across them. 
     "W- What do you mean by that?" Elizara shivered. 
     "It felt so good. Making Daniel a vampyre was the most sexually aroused I've been in years, dear Eli. When our blood connected and he became one of us, I did manage to give in a little, and dabble in stealing away some of his love and sanity. Just a little. So, from now on, there will always be a part of him that is confused and hungry. Mhmhmhm! But, I had to, after all, do what I did. He was dying. It was the only way I could protect him in that moment." 
     "S- So, that's your game-plan from now on? Trying to protect and save people, so that way when they're near the brink of death, you turn them into vampyres and take away a little bit of their love? This is how you'll rationalize getting your sustenance as a true Vampyre Lord?" 

     I rolled my eyes and nodded slowly. "What can I say? Sinking your teeth into someone is so much better when you know them personally. Mhmhmhm!" 
     "Um. You know that man's sister is still sitting right over there on the couch rig-" 
     "I don't think things through sometimes, alright?" 
     Elizara sighed, her shoulders relaxing downwards. "It's apparent, my lord." 
     "Glad we came to an agreement here." 
     "Um, what agreement would that b-" 
     "Exactly." I narrowed my eyes. 
     Elizara cleared her throat. "Well, I see. So, if the humans do want to join in league with us, then here's the plan. I give you an hour to rally up the ones who wish to go. Let's hope that in that amount of time, you awaken Grace out of her woes. Because if not, I shall return to Polidoria myself, and see who is still loyal to my word, and recruit them to fight against this 'Mr. Weldspar'." 

________

     And so an hour came and went. Fuck.
     Grace stayed still on that couch. "Gwyllomay, I just don't know. I don't know if I can travel to Polidoria, but I'd rather all of us go than... just you." 
      At around this point, thankfully, she put her coffee down and looked me in the eyes. Her pale hands, the delicate nails painted over with an apricot tone, rubbed against each other. She bit her bottom lip, eyes trembling. 
     "Whatever it is you so desperately desire to say, I can only imagine it is incredibly heavy." 
      Grace had a lot to say. And as things of that nature generally go, there is a lot which can be said in response. The woman sneezed just then, her face smacking right into the crease of her elbow. "I appreciate your sympathy. However, what I'm about to tell you is something I haven't... thought about in years." 

      "I see." I took a deep breath. "And you never really got over it, did you? Seems like it still weighs heavy on you." 
      "Gwyllomay," Grace's eyebrows furrowed. "my parents -- Daniel's and I's -- were k- killed by v- vampyres." 
       I swallowed, looking up to the low ceiling of the living-room. My neck acted as a spot for my hand to rub. The ends of my tufts curled a tad as I felt them. In the next second, my gaze fell to the floor. I blinked at the green carpet, covered in a corny, red rug.  I almost couldn't believe what I just heard. 
      I had not ever peered far enough inside Grace's head to find this kind of information out. There was a part of me that always felt a darkness inside her. A kind of irascible dimension to her subconscious, and yet I never figured it would've been this. But then again, what else would give her the motivation in becoming a vampyre-hunter? 
     "I see." I tried to formulate. 
     "It was d- dark and cold, that night when it... happened." 

      It usually is. 
      "My father couldn't... take it anymore." 

      They usually can't. 
      "The vampyre... said his name was... Getchuglz." 
      "W- Wait. I'm sorry?" I widened my eyes. 
      Grace's stare dragged back down to the coffee, which sat over the hickory table. "He had strong muscles. Veiny arms. Veins. Just v- veins. All over him! His eyes were red, but they were bright. A bright kind of... b- blood." 
      "You said his name perfectly, Grace, I'm impressed." I gasped, trying not to breathe too loudly in this vacuous room. Was congratulating her in this moment the best course of action, though, or did I sound too smarmy? 
      The woman shook her head and smirked, her eyes still stuck to the table. "I've been studying vampyres for years, haven't I? I better have said his name correctly." 
      I nodded awkwardly. "You're right, yes." 
      Grace tightened her lips inward. "S- So that monster came in, and-" 
     "Grace, if it's too painful for you to relive, then let me relive it for you." I walked closer to her, just then, my an open palm.
     "Wh- What do you mean?" Grace looked up with a set of soppy eyes. 
     "I can read thoughts, memories. If it's too hard for you to retell -- this story of your parents -- then I can just as easily hop into... the night this 'Getchuglz' arrived." 
     Grace put a hand to her hay-colored hair, her rounded face shivering. "P- Please, b- be gentle." 
     "Hm. For once, I think I will be." 
     I placed my hand on her cranium, her blonde hair caressing my skin, and closed my eyes. 

________