Chapter 38, Doubt of Gadgets

"You know, Grace, you really must show me around your gadgets at some point

    "You know, Grace, you really must show me around your gadgets at some point. It seems like all you ever carry around with you is that 'black ash' stuff." I sighed, moving my wrist back and forth as I stood. 

    "Ah, yes. My 'gadgets'." Grace's right eye twitched, almost akin to a wink. 

    "What? I really haven't seen what you're truly capable of, you know. You're an agent of Temple, a private organization founded on fighting monsters where normal law enforcement stops its jurisdiction. So-" 

    "Oh my God, you just had to say all that while the new girl is here, didn't you?" Grace slumped her shoulders, standing near the sink. 

    I looked outside, the windows dark with autumn's sunset. Clouds of pink and violet roared overhead. Rolling with fierce intent, the sky seemed to partake in its own little parade. 

    Shifting over the wooden floorboards slightly, I welcomed this 'new girl' into my vision once more. She stood, almost clung, to the side of our oven. Her fingers picked and tapped on the sleek, black handle. 

    "Hello," I yawned. "you must forgive me, I hadn't the chance to get your name?" 

    The girl pressed her lips together as her freckled face blushed. "Reagan." 

    "Ah, a fine name, I find. Well, Madame Reagan, how is it that you know about... Loup Noir?" I tossed my right hand out. 

    Reagan's eyes moved around some. "He helps people." 

    Grace's eyes narrowed to Reagan, to me, then once more to the girl. 

    I nodded. "Well, look, I think that's a bit too vague of an answer. This 'man' did something. I was unable to see it because my hands covered my eyes, and yet I was able to partake in the sounds and smells of whatever he managed to turn into. He transformed. I felt it, and I don't think a girl like you can hide that from me. His aura completely changed. I wonder what you saw back there for yourself." 

    Reagan scratched at the tip of her nose some, quite a bony little extension on her face. "I- I just- Um. I don't- Um." 

    "Ah, riveting. Well, she's not talking. So, Grace, got any cool gadgets you'd like to show me in the meantime?" 

    "Why are you so focused on my toys? Leave that alone for now, Gwyllomay." The woman smirked, yet furrowed her brow. 

    "Oh, so you're calling them 'toys' now? Let it be known that I never said that." 

    "Why the sudden interest?" Small giggles bounced off the woman's mouth. "I'm just curious why you're so curious, Gwyllomay." 

    "Well, because I'm so curious!" I winked. "You see, I feel as though we might be going up against a monster. If that's to be true, then Temple is going to get really involved this time. I'm surprised he did minimal damage to our front yard-"