-CAPITOL 49- More Similar Than They Think, Part Two

As Gwyllomay closed his blue eyes, irises swirling like the sky, he yawned. "I haven't been able to make my eyes go back to the color blue for such a long time. I remember when Daniel and I first met his sister, that fateful day on the train. I would have had no idea, from the morning of that day, that I would meet such an exquisite woman. Hah. She reminds me a lot of you, Alexandra. But of course, you always wanted me to protect her, didn't you?" 

    While his eyelids opened, the king of all vampyres looked out to a dimly lit room. The only light managed to slice in through the curtains of a window. There gave a damp smell of strawberries, akin to mashed fruit. 

     Leaning over a dusty bed, the rear of Gwyllomay's white coat held a black strap over itself. 

    "Hm. Here I go again, watching memories of myself." The present Gwyllomay held his arms to his sides. 

    "Alexandra," Slowly, the older Gwyllomay's back started to shake. "I had such amazing times with you. I'll never forget them. You were so good to me." 

    The noises of coughing and hiccups banged across the small bedroom. "Gwyll... o... may. I love you, and I'll always love you. I know that deep down, you have a good heart. A pure heart."

    Holding her hands in his, tears raced down his cheeks. "I'm so surprised in myself, if I'm being honest. I never once tried to do to you what vampyres are supposed to do. I never allowed myself to become a true animal to my carnal desires. To my diet." 

    Alexandra's pale face nodded. "You are more virtuous than you think. My family- The modest farmers of Ruthberg can never really repay you for all the," The woman coughed as loud as a whip of thunder. "good things you've done for us." 

    "Don't worry about it." The memory of Gwyllomay's voice fell low. "Just to be with you was what made me happy. To smell the summer air with you, by the lakes of this English countryside, was all I needed. Was all I ever needed." 

    Alexandra smiled, her eyes closing. 

    "Alexandra?" 

    No response. 

    "Alexandra!"

    "I think I finally believe you, Gwyllomay. All the way, this time. A mad king who used to be so decadent, but now you see us humans for what we really are." 

    "You're all so... beautiful." Putting his hand up to his eyes, the apparition of the vampyre sobbed. "You're all- YOU'RE ALL SO BEAUTIFUL AND IMPORTANT!" 

    Her head softly turning, Alexandra's lips mouthed slowly. "My extended family, the Smithwells, would love your help. Please. It's my last request. That you watch over them. They could really use a king to guard over their prosperity." 

     Gwyllomay's eyes widened as he continued to pad his lover's dying hand. "I understand. I will. I will, Alexandra Yuliannos. I love you. Your wish is my command. This is how I'll repent. Repent for all the times I ever looked down on your kind. Repent for all this time I lost, never breaking out of my shell until recently. Repent for how I didn't use my powers to watch over you and your graceful household any sooner." 

    The present Gwyllomay nodded. "And who knew that it'd only take the next 200 years or so to meet Daniel."