Chapter 37, Chaotic Wolf of the Afternoon

I turned my head to Grace, nostrils flaring

     I turned my head to Grace, nostrils flaring. Daniel's sudden passion made me feel excited. I wonder just how exactly he planned on 'catching up, alone' with Allison. That flowing caramel hair of hers could act as a fitting nest for any ravenous man to stick his nose in. Hmhmhm. 

    "Alright, Gwyllomay, we need to hurry. General just shot me an emoji." Grace trotted off down the long hallway and set her foot on a set of wooden stairs.  

    "I- I'm sorry? Wh- What is an 'emoji'?" 

    "It's a-" 

    "No, wait. I've got it! It's a type of way to prepare an... egg. Like an omelette. He sent you a recipe on how to prepare an egg through your modern ways of 'text messaging'. Mhmhmhm. I'm wise to your human antics, dear Grace." 

    Grace's eyebrows popped up. "You've been friends with Daniel for a few years now and you don't know what emojis are? He hasn't told you? Are you kidding me?" 

    "I mean, I'm perhaps just hungry as of this moment." I scratched at the side of my cheek. 

    "I was about to say." The young woman cleared her throat as she made it to the front door and down the railings of the stairs. "You can't put on the front of 'a fish out of water' anymore. You've been with people like us for quite some time now." 

     As Grace turned the doorknob, I lowered my head and grinned. "You are correct. Fine then. An 'emoji' is, as I recall, a modern type of hieroglyphic where humans communicate their-" 

    "I don't need you explaining it to me," Grace's shoulder rose. "since I'm a pretty well-versed woman, you know?" 

    I curled my lips inward, then yawned. "I understand that you comprehend them, I was simply reviewing what I have gathered." 

     As light and fresh air from outside drowned the foyer, Grace sighed. "I hope you can actually fight the enemy this time."

    "Oh, come now! Mhmhmhm. You and your poor brother ended up falling asleep just outside that darn haunted house, and I got us out of there just fine." 

    "With your vampiric charm, I'm sure?" 

    My eyes rolled about. "Used on another vampyre, no less. General Brandon had a little vampyre boy hop out of the sheath of his sword. As you people say, 'I shit you not'?" 

    "Wh- H- Whatever." 

    "And who was it that brought Allison back in one piece?" 

    Grace cocked her head back. "Ugh. You." 

    "And who brought you and Daniel back from the pits of slumber?" 

    "My word, Gwyllomay. 'The pits of slumber'? Someone fancies themselves a poet!" 

    "Pardon me, miss, but it has been ever so difficult for me to break out of my olden 'Polidorian speak'."