Chapter 40, Story of Love, 2

There stood a row of magenta candles, their wicks lit brightly

    There stood a row of magenta candles, their wicks lit brightly. As the wax held itself in a nice glass jar, the smell of a Chinese restaurant found itself emitting a taste of flowers and mint. Beneath it, near the cushioned booths and glass windows among them, the scent of raspberries laid around everyone's personal space. 

     "Well, we're finally here. It only took five minutes." Grace smirked. 

     "Five minutes goes longer when Daniel talks about video games." Allison pinched the bridge of her nose. 

    Holy shit, why is this girl on absolute fire today? Ha! Then again, she always has had a tinge of intolerable sass. 

    "Wow, it was actually five minutes?" Reagan stood in front of the table as everyone else sat themselves down into a burgundy booth. 

     "Are you not going to sit? What, are you plannin' to get food first? How eager!" Daniel winked. 

    Reagan snickered. "Nah, I'm waiting for everyone else to sit down and orient themselves. I... was gonna tell my story." 

    "Story?" I swished my lips back and forth. 

    "Yes." Reagan bobbed her head up and down. "On how I know Loup Noir." 

    My eyes widened and I turned my attention to Grace. "Oh." 

    She winked a total of five times, her lips curving into a deliciously triumphant smile. I could tell that each little bout intended to translate itself into, 'See, I told you so'. For prior to coming to this extravagant and dimly lit establishment, Grace had told me that if we gave Reagan food,  and other such hospitality, then the girl would eventually start to make herself vulnerable, and tell us about any secrets she'd have regarding that werewolf thief. I, of course, tried that already with speaking on behalf of my own love for living authentically. 

    I'm certain that Reagan's 'walls' were weakened from then on.

    Oh my.  

   "Wait, what?" Daniel's eyes flashed. 

    "Right. We still haven't filled Daniel in on this little charade yet. Well, my dear friend, it appears that your sister and I ran into a strange criminal earlier, who goes by an even stranger name." My eyes fell on Daniel's collarbone. 

    Reagan nodded, touching a finger to her lilac spectacles. "It was weird how it happened. I was just sitting by my window one night, looking out into the neighborhood. I do that a lot. Daydream during the evening. I have my -- uh -- 'work-desk' right next to, sorta in front of, the window. And I'd been lookin' out the screen and all and- Well, that's when I saw him. Running around in the night. Or, m- maybe, that's when he saw me." 

    "Actually, before you continue, can I really go get some food? The sugar-donuts just look so good from here!" Daniel's mouth watered. 

    "You absolute animal, you." Allison nudged his shoulder.