Chapter Twenty: It's a date

One sunny afternoon, two teenagers met up at the park.

Kayleigh and Conor.

She prepared for this date. She picked out her best clothes, curled her hair into effortless waves, and she even put on make up today. She was desperate to feel something-anything. 

It made her feel guilty to think of Conor as a rebound, because: a.) he wasn't and b.) it wasn't like she had a relationship with Luke.

So she thought of it more as ... giving him a chance.

But she did get kind of suspicious as to why he would suddenly be all over her.

He let her sit first.

"It's a nice day today." Kayleigh attempted to make small talk.

"Yes, it is. Kay, what made you change your mind?" his smile showed a hint of pain.

"Oh, um... I guess because..." she didn't have an answer. Atleast not one she could tell him.

So she lied. "Just a change of heart." 

"Oh," he let out a small laugh. "Okay then, I'm sorry for what's about to happen."

"Huh?"

"It's too soon, I mean, we're not even finished with our first date but..."

He held her hand close to his chest and she could almost feel his heart. "I gotta ask you to be my girlfriend."

She widened her eyes at him. Children were playing with their kites that day. 

"Conor..."

He let go of her hand. "I know, I know, it seems a bit fast but these past few days kind of felt like lifetimes and I know I sound so cheesy-"

She laughed "Oh my goodness, is that really you? Conor Bay? Wow..."

"What?"

"You never struck me as the romantic type. You know, being the most popular dude in the whole damn school. Why do you like me anyway?"

He sighed. "It's gonna sound stupid."

"Try me."

He sighed again. "It started in fifth grade, I don't know... I had a crush on you back then and I let it go and then I started dating other girls then suddenly I felt so fucking empty-" he glanced at her "excuse my language."

When she nodded, he continued. "Then I realized I still kinda liked you and I thought you liked that Luke kid so I backed off. When I found out he was dating that blonde chick, I jumped at my chance and here we are." he grinned.

"Oh..." she mumbled. "Wait, you thought I liked Luke?"

He nodded. "I guess I didn't know you guys were just friends. You'd always go to school together and hang I just assumed. Sorry." he looked down.

"No,no it's okay." she patted his back awkwardly.

"Why? Is it true?" he suddenly looked up at her.

She gaped at him. "What? No. Relax. We're just friends I swear. Anyway, back to our date." she said quickly.

"Hmmm." he smiled. "Good."

She smiled at him and looked back at the children playing.

"So?"

"So."

"Are you my girlfriend?"

"......"

"Kayleigh?"