Chapter Twenty-nine: After

Frauenfelder, Kayleigh!

The biggest smile was on Kay's face as she took her diploma. This was it., graduation.

She looked into the crowd and saw her family cheering as loud as possible, beside them, Harlow.

After the graduation ceremony, the Frauenfelders, went to a fancy restaurant to celebrate.

Harlow came along. This was the first time Harlow and Kayleigh saw each other in months.

"Har, how's college life?" Kay asked.

"Not bad, it's chill and fun and amazing." Harlow gushed.

"Speaking of college-" Mr. Frauenfelder interrupted. "Kayleighcakes, what are you pursuing again?"

"Dad, I told you, I'm taking Multimedia arts, mostly photography and-"

"WHAT!" her dad raised his voice in the quiet restaurant as he slammed his fist onto the table. "What the hell are you talking about? You were supposed to take over the business, not shoot pictures of trees. Please tell me you're joking." 

By now, people were looking. And as if by fate, Aleisha and her family walked in.

Great.

"But dad..." Kayleigh said weakly.

"Enough. Is this what your frienship influenced?" He motioned at Harlow. "I mean for god's sake you just read and write at your college!"

"I take it very seriously. Literature is more than that." Harlow mumbled.

"You're... you're... a disappointment." He stood up and stormed out of the restaurant. Aleisha's family watching in awe. 

Little brother Keanneth, who is now 12, hugged his sister who was crying.

He whispered. "I support you no matter what, I think dad's just drunk, that's all."

Kayleigh smiled. "Thanks, but I have to do it. I don't think dad will pay for me to go to college unless it's what he wants. It's fine. I'll just... takeover the business. No big deal." She started wiping her tears away and steadied herself.

She faced Harlow, who was still silent. "Har, I'm so sorry about what he said-"

"It's fine-"

"No. I think what you're doing is great. You're already a great writer and I assure you, you'll be big one day. You'll write best-selling books. You'll tour around the world. You'll write about...." Kayleigh giggled.

"About what?"

"It's nothing."

"About what, Kay?"

"5sos"