Chapter Twenty-five: The Airport

A week after Kayleigh's break-up with Conor, which she never talked about or admitted, someone finally noticed.

And it wasn't Luke.

Ashton walked up to her before classes started.

"Hey."

"Hi."

"What's up?"

"Nothing."

He raised his eyebrow at her. "Not nothing, unless you consider Conor nothing." he teased.

"Shut up." she replied.

He shrugged. "Okay, but you gotta tell somebody. . . " He turned around and started to walk away.

She sighed. "Wait!" he turned back around.

"I broke up with Conor and I feel sick about it."

He smiled. "Aha, and why is that?"

"Because he said he'll wait and he shouldn't because I'm not coming back." she said.

Ashton gaped at her and didn't say anything.

The bell rang. "Anyway, uh, thanks for listening I guess? Harlow doesn't know yet and I'd appreciate it if you don't tell her yet. Oh, and I think she's dropping by your place later so yeah."

She left.

And Ashton thought some things through.

Then he went to class.

After school, Ashton texted Harlow to meet him at the empty lot behind near his house instead. She got there first. . . . and waited for an hour.

He finally came. 

"What took you so long?" she greeted as she looked up from her phone.

He had a different expression on his face. "Sorry to keep you waiting, just had to think about things."

She smiled cluelessly. "Think about what?"

He looked down. "You know, the tour's in about 2 weeks."

She nodded. "Yeah, are you nervous or something? Because you shouldn't be. You're a really good drummer and I think you'll do well."

"At the tour. I'll do well at the tour." he repeated.

She nodded slowly. "Yeah. . . is there something else?"

He ran his fingers through his hair. "There's everything else."

She creased her brows and stepped closer to him. "Like what?"

"Us."

She took a step back. "What?"

He moved forward.  "Listen, I don't think we should. . . suffer from a long distance relationship.."

"Suffer? Ash, you're talking about our relationship like it's a disease. Don't, just stop." she pleaded.

"I . . . have to. I don't want you to get hurt. I know I've gained your trust and-"

"My heart."

He sighed. "Yeah. I love you but. . .  I really don't want you to get hurt."

She shook her head. 'If you don't want me to get hurt, then don't do this."

He gripped her shoulders and looked in her eyes, which were already filled with tears.  " I really did love you-" he said, choking on his words.

"Did?! God, Ashton just stop it. Please." she cried.

He shushed her. "Shhh, trust me. This is for the best but I really am sorry." he kissed her forehead slowly as her tears flowed. He wiped them away, aching because he knew he caused them.