Chapter Twenty-six: Endless tears

Harlow tried to help Kayleigh up but whenever she picked her up, she would fall back on her knees,

"Oh my god, would you get up?! People are staring at us." she scolded.

Kayleigh wept even more. "He's gone! Luke's gone oh my goodness what will I do?! My life is over!"

Harlow rolled her eyes and pulled her up. "We're getting a cab and going home. Pull yourself together.

Kayleigh nodded and wiped her nose with the back of her hand as the mascara ran down her face. Harlow tried to pace through the airport as quickly as possible. As soon as they were out, she called a cab.

They got in the cab and told him that Harlow's address and he drove.

"Ashton's gone too." Kayleigh choked.

Then Harlow started to tear up. "I know!" she cried. "Life is not good to me. . . " 

Kayleigh started. "Life is not good to us!"

They both cried and hugged each other.

Inside the taxi. 

The driver checked his mirror. "Are you girls alright?"

He stopped at the red light.

They nodded but said "Noo! The love of our lives just left the fucking country and, and they don't even love us back!"

The taxi driver smiled. "I understand what-"

Kayleigh cut him off "No! You don't understand. I loved that motherfuggin boy for YEARS now and he-he LEFT and broke my heart and-"

This time, he cut her off. "I was married to my wife for 27 years. I think I know what it's like to be in love with someone for years."

''Oh," 

"And she died 5 years ago, so I also know what it's like to have someone you love leave." he continued.

Kayleigh looked at Harlow, whose tears have stopped.

"I'm sorry, sir. I didn't mean to-"

"It's alright. You know, why don't I tell you girls a story?" he smiled into the mirror.

They looked at each other, then the taxi driver then nodded.

"I met my wife when she was 24, I was 29. She was beautiful and completely out of my league, but I had to try. She rejected me the first 15 times," he laughed. "she was so high class and I was just a taxi driver.Anyway, I knew I couldn't compete with her other  suitors who would buy her expensive chocolates and bouquets of the finest flowers, so, intstead, everyday I would pick a flower from my mom's garden and drop it by her office before starting my day. And I didn't even know daisies were her favorite!" he smiled so big," She demanded to meet me and when she found out it was me, she wasn't pleased. . . then I swept her off her feet and I showed her how much I loved her, we've been married ever since."

Harlow and Kayleigh were teary-eyed. Harlow spoke up "That' beautiful."

He chuckled. "She was beautiful. So right after our marriage, we had a kid and there were some complications and I . . . I thought I would lose them both. I cried in the hospital for hours and I prayed so hard that they would both survive. I couldn't let her lose a child, and I didn't want our child to have no mother. After a few hours, they both came out healthy and I thank god everyday."

"It was a beautiful baby girl and she looked just like her mom, which was a good thing. Then after a few years, we tried to have another one but couldn't, so we stopped. Our little Daisy grew up with no brothers or sisters. Then . . . it happened. Her mother got so sick and since she became a stay at home mom while I drove taxis all over town, we didn't have enough money for treatment. When she died, Daisy was in College. I didn't tell her that her mother was sick because we both thought she had to focus on her studies and my wife promised she'd pull through. . .  but she didn't. And I still thank god everyday for the lifetime I had spent with her."