Chapter Twenty-three: More than friends?

He was going for it.

Michael Gordon Clifford, was -for some reason- going to listen to Luke.

He was going to ask Alex out.

And he knew her so well. He knew she wasn't the type of girl who would want "a magical date"  or anything girly like that. She didn't like romantic movies. So, his plan was to keep it simple. Keep it subtle.

He invited her over. Again, his parents weren't home so they had the house to themselves. She lived just around the corner so she was going to be over in a few minutes.

Ding Dong.

He answered the door and smiled at her. She was wearing an oversized shirt and baggy camouflage pants and her hair was in a ponytail. She smiled at him too.

"Why'd you call me over?" she asked as she got inside.

"I cooked." he ragged.

"Seriously?"

He nodded then motioned at the plate on the dining room table.

"Nice, Clifford." she laughed. Then she went closer to the plate.

"No!" he yelped. "We'll eat it later. Let it cool down. . . Wanna play GTA?"

She rolled her eyes. "Yeah, okay."

They played GTA for an hour and a half and he noticed her. He noticed how she bit her lips whenever she got excited, he noticed how short she was-which he thought was actually cute. He noticed her laugh sounded so small. 

He noticed all the things he saw before . . . clearer.

Then he thought fuck, Luke's right. 

He lead her downstairs and got her a slice of pizza and they sat on the couch and ate.

His hands were suddenly sweating and his mouth was dry. He was nervous. How could you tell your bestfriend you're in love with them? How could you make sure they would love you back?

He had to try. But he didn't know how to proceed.

She stood up and went to the kitchen.

"Just thirsty, gonna get a drink. You want one?" she announced.

"Nah, I'm fine." he answered.

Then he waited for her to come back.

When she did, he immediately felt embarrassed. She was holding an empty pizza box. A fresh, empty pizza box.

"You cooked, huh?" she raised her brow at him.

He stuttered. Because even though she totally caught him red-handed for lying about making pizza, all he could think about was I would learn to cook for you. She threw the pizza box at him and laughed. When he woke up from his thoughts, he laughed too.

"God, you're lame." she teased.

"How lame?"

"Super lame." she said.

He shook his head. "You know what would be even more super lame?"

"What?"

"I don't know..." he blushed. "Maybe a date."

"Yeah, that would be lame." she replied.

He faced her. "We should try it." 

Shit, that was so cheesy. He thought as he waited for her to answer.

she didn't face him. "What?"

He winced. "I know you're just a friend, and you probably only see me as a friend too, but I think I really like you. . . I just think we should try to ... date." he stammered.