Chapter Thirteen: The Past

Her eyes were closed but it suddenly heated. The windows were open but the air was very humid, very thick. There was just darkness, then a flash of bright light hit her room, jolting her awake. Then the air became more visible and the light was moving, getting closer and brighter. A fire.

Kayleigh jumped out of her bed and screamed but no one heard her. Again, her father wasn't home and all she could think about is Keanneth, where is he ? Did he get out safely ? God, she hoped he did.

"Keanneth !?! Are you there ?!?" she screamed as she coughed in the smoke.

She covered her eyes as she tried to make it to her door, which was almost blocked by the fire. Where was Celia ?

She broke down the pieces of wood that was left from her door, she ran out screaming. She quickly checked to see if Keanneth was in his room, no one was there. Terrified, she ran into the living room.

"Keanneth ?!?! God! Where are you ?!?!"

No one responded.

Just as she was about to grab the phone, the bookcase beside it collapsed. The thick books that filled it dropped on the blonde and she struggled to get up. The fire was getting bigger, closer. Tears filled her eyes, caused by smoke and fear. She knew she wasn't going to make it to the door which was only a few feet away without getting burned. She had given up and broke down in tears. Thinking about her last words.

Then the door opened.

"Kayleigh! Kayleigh! stay with me! wake up! " someone yelled as they ran towards the dying girl.

"You can't die! Don't give up! We'll make it through this ! Just take my hand and-" his voice faded over the sound of the fire.

Then the weight lifted. No more books were on her back and she was no longer dying on the floor. She was in the arms of someone and was being carried out to a nearby ambulance. She struggled to wake up  but mumbled a few words.

"Keanneth ? Where's Keanneth? My brother..."

The blurry vision smiled at her. "He's safe. He was at soccer practice. I thought I would've lost you. Thank god."

She smiled back. "You are ?"

He let out a small nervous laugh. "Please don't tell me that book hit you so hard you forgot your memory, It's me, Luke."

"Luke ? Hi."

"Hi there." he squeezed her hand. "How are you ?"

"Where am I ?"

"You're in the ambulance, the fire stopped. They're bringing you to the hospital now." he explained.

"Wait, so, so... you-"

"Yeah, I saved you." he grinned. "I kinda had to. I didn't wanna lose you and-"

She fluttered her eyes open and close.

He let out a small sigh. "Nevermind, I'll tell you later. Get some rest."

A few minutes later, Kayleigh woke up in a room full of white walls and almost thought she had died but it was just the hospital room. She glanced over to her right, there was another patient, an old lady. To her left, a small nightstand with fruits and magazines displayed on it. Oh, and Luke.

"You okay ?"

She winced. "Uh... yeah. Kinda dizzy though."

"The doctor said you'll be fine just need some rest. They umm... they wanna ask you something." he said, with a hint of fear in his voice.

Two men in suits entered her room, they greeted her with warm smiles. The taller one nodded at Luke to leave the room, he dragged his feet out the door. When he closed the door, the two men sat down beside her.