Chapter Twenty-two: Rehearsals

After school, Luke,Ashton, Michael, Calum, Aleisha and Harlow gathered in the parking lot of the school.

Luke waved at his mom, who was going to drive them to their house.

"We ready yet?" Calum asked.

"We're complete now, aren't we?"  Michael glanced at Luke.

He shrugged. "I guess. Kayleigh's not coming."

Calum gaped at the blond. "What? Why not?"

"She has a date with Conor." Harlow answered.

Calum suddenly frowned. Michael noticed. "Why so down man?"

Calum looked up. "I don't got anybody to flirt with." he winked.

"The hell?" Michael raised his brows. "I thought you had Savannah?"

"Had." Calum repeated, then Michael nodded in sympathy.

Luke playfully pulled Calum in and whispered. "Maybe you do. Michael's inviting Alex to watch."

Calum lit up and smirked at Michael before Luke motioned for them to sit in the car.

It was a spacious van. Luke sat up front with his mom. She smiled as they entered.

She looked up at the mirror while she was driving, then asked Luke at the stoplight "Kayleigh isn't here ?"

Luke glanced up from his phone. "No."

She smiled at him. "Too bad, she knows how to keep you boys behaved." she chuckled.

"And she helps pick our setlist!" Michael mentioned from the back.

They set up their equipments in the basement while the girls sat in the corner. Harlow and Aleisha made small talk.

"So, Conor and Kay, huh?" Aleisha said.

Harlow nodded. "Yeah..." she said unsurely. "They look good together."

"I miss her."

Harlow raised her  brow at Aleisha. "But you guys-"

"I mean, I feel like we don't hangout anymore. Do you know why?"

Harlow shook her head. 

"Me neither. I just wish we could hang out more, just like the old days." she explained.

"Why don't you?"

She sighed. "Too much things are happening, you know-"

Calum announced. "We're about to start."

Aleisha and Harlow moved to the couch infront of them to watch.

They played Heartbreak girl, then Too late, then Out of my limit-then stopped.

"Takin a break?" Harlow asked, Calum nodded.

Aleisha looked up from her phone. "Hey, when is Alex coming?" Calum's eyes widened.

"Oh yeah, she'll be here soon, she lives kinda far and this might be the only rehearsal she'll be able to watch so better make it good." Michael replied.

And right then, Liz, Luke's mom, came down.

She was with Alex.

"Okay, so this pretty girl came up to my front porch to watch you guys play." She patted Alex's back then as she headed up the stairs she said "Better make it good boys."

Alex shyly made her way over to Michael who smiled when he saw her. "Alex!"

"Hi." she said quietly.