End

At first there was nothing. The noise and flashing images were merely annoyances. I looked around at Nico, Madison and Mr Adams, who were all unaffected like I was, but not daring to move again, for fear of the high frequency noise that left us so powerless before.
Slowly, I was starting to feel the effects of the noise and images. I started to feel woozy soon and it became harder to focus.
"You know, I got this great new stuff," the boss said. "It's really so fascinating. All this stuff is designed to hypnotise you, but not having to go through the long process of sleeping and all that. It breaks the will quickly and immediately. I'd use it more if it didn't mean carrying around all this heavy equipment."
A heavy feeling was suddenly pushed upon my head. I tried to shake it off, but it only grew heavier.
"Stop..." I muttered, unable to say or think anything further. I couldn't see clearly anymore as my mind was being pushed down, but I gripped on, trying to fight.
"You are all enemies now," his voice echoed through my head. "You will fight to survive and to tear each other apart. This is a battle of the strongest. Only the winner survives."
"No!" A voice inside me screamed, but no words came out of my mouth. "Don't listen! Hold on!"
I gripped on to the last of my will that I had left in the growing darkness in my mind, but it slowly slipped through my fingers. I yelled as I clenched tighter.
Just a bit more... Maybe I can make it...
Maybe I can...
It slipped away and my vision cleared up completely. I could see the hall again, but it was different this time.
They were all around me. They... They wanted to kill me! I had to kill them first.
I attacked the one closest to me and he fought back. I was completely without weapons and it seemed that they also had none.
I dodged and kicked. I fought for my life as a boy with curly brown hair tried to punch me. He put all his weight into his fist, so I grabbed his arm and wrenched it over so that he lost his balance and fell down. I kicked him mercilessly and was about to crush his throat with my foot, when a blow came to the side of my head.
I stumbled, completely dazed, and felt my head as the blood started to stain my fingers red. I looked around at the girl who just punched me and we quickly attacked each other. She was the better fighter, so after a long struggle, I was on the ground.
I kicked her away as hard as I could in desperation and she stumbled backwards. I quickly scrambled up again, only to see the curly haired boy attack the girl from behind.
While they were occupied, I noticed the dazed figure of a wounded adult, trying to limp away. I quickly went over to him and easily kicked him down.
As he lay on the ground, I locked my hands around his neck and he gasped for air. His eyes were wide and he continued to struggle.
"No... Please," he choked the words out, begging for mercy.
I pushed harder. I had to finish this.
I had to win.
Suddenly, I heard a crash from behind and I looked up. Behind me, glass shattered in a tinted window in the wall. Two people were in a control room. One took out a guard and the other one was looking around frantically before ripping out a bunch of wires on a panel.
The screen quickly faded to snow and the speakers filled with white noise.
Suddenly, the world became clear again. I quickly removed my hands from Mr Adams' neck and stood up. Liam and Matt quickly rushed out of the control room and went to join us in the hall as we slowly regained our composure.
"No!" the boss snarled. "The process wasn't finished yet."
"You bet it wasn't," I said, stepping forward menacingly.
He backed away, trying to use his remote again, but it had no effect.
"Well, this must be the end of it," I said, reaching the desperate man in front of me. "The end of all this."
"Oh please, you're just..." Before he could finish, the doors burst open and Liam and Matt stumbled in, followed by a squad of police men.
"We made a call before you caught us" Mr Adams said. "We just needed to get our friends to safety too, which turned out well."
"I went and rescued the two of them before we were captured. A bit of back up, you know. So yes, it is over," I continued. "And this is a little present from everyone."
I punched the man that ruined my life in the face and he stumbled. Revenge felt good.
Suddenly, a bunch of people with guns ran into the room and started shooting at us. I ducked and ran to safety. Luckily, the newcomers were outnumbered and were soon all captured, except for one.
The man aimed his gun at the nearest person.
"I'll shoot!" he shouted as everyone watched him point at Nico.
I was close enough. I could do it.
Before the man could react, I ran at him and gripped his arms as he shot, redirecting his aim. More people rushed forward to help and soon he was detained by a police man.
I looked at Nico, who had flung himself to the ground, but there was a red stain on his shoulder. The bullet had grazed him.
I ran over to him and helped him up.
"You okay?" I asked.
"Yeah," he said and pulled me closer.
We looked into each other's eyes as relief washed over both of our faces.
I stood on my toes and he leaned forward. We kissed.
All my fear and panic faded away. It was over. We did it.
I could do what I want now.
I could feel what I want now.
We pulled away from each other after what seemed like an eternity, still embracing each other.
"Hey," he gasped, not knowing what else to say.
"Hey," I replied, smiling.