Enemies

We couldn't be gone for too long, with having two prisoners and all that.
We had gone to a nearby cafe, where we ate a big lunch, had some coffee and then slipped out unnoticed.
When we returned to our dark alley, we were laughing and chatting.
Suddenly, we noticed that Madison was awake. She was halfway through getting the ropes off her hands, when we showed up.
"Oh no," I said, crouching next to her. "You get to stay here."
She only glared at me as I fastened the rope even tighter around her hands. I stood up and walked over to Nico, who was watching Mr Adams.
"It seems like we only have one awake yet," Nico said.
Mr Adams was still slumped against the wall we had left him.
"So, what now?" I asked Nico.
"I guess we'll have to do something about Madison," Nico suggested. "You feel up to it?"
He looked down at me, his eyes full of worry. I guess my mental health was up for debate at that point in time, but I was feeling calm. I knew it was time to do something.
"Yeah," I said and walked over to Madison.
She was still silently glaring at me. I sat down in front of her and looked into her eyes.
"Look at me," I said quietly. "You are starting to feel tired. You want to feel so relaxed."
Madison figured out what I was doing and was trying to turn her body away from me or look away, but I held her fixed somehow.
"You are feeling sleepier. My voice is drawing you deeper into a trance."
She was still struggling, but it seemed to be getting more difficult.
"You just want to relax. You can't resist it. Every breath you take, the sleepier you get."
"No," Madison said sluggishly. "No. I have to... Stop..."
"You are now so relaxed. When I snap my fingers, you will be completely under my control," I finished off.
I lifted up my hand and snapped my fingers sharply. Madison's head lolled to the side. She was gone. Huh, I guess I was getting better at this.
"So, uhm," I heard Nico say from behind me. "Small question: How do know what you're supposed to say?"
"I don't," I said, shrugging. "I just guess what sounds right and it seems to work. I think it's not just the words, but the eyes and stuff. I dunno, I really don't know much about this."
"Ah," Nico said. "Alrighty. Do continue."
I turned my attention back to Madison in front of me.
"Now, when I snap my fingers again, you will wake up and all the commands you ever received will be removed from you. Do you understand?"
Madison groaned softly in reply. I lifted my hand up again slowly, sucked in my breath and snapped my fingers.
Madison's eyes slowly opened and she looked at me.
"Emma," she whispered.
She was normal again.
"Madison..." I said.
I quickly untied her feet and then her hands. When she was loose, I flung my arms around her.
"Madison," my voice was breaking and I pushed back a sob. I squeezed Madison tightly and she held me tightly. After a while, we released each other.
Suddenly, a throbbing pain cut through my head. I closed my eyes and clutched my forehead.
"Hey, Emma," I heard Madison say. "Are you okay? What's going on?"
"I'm fine," I said as the pain slowly faded. "I think I still get some after effects when I try to hypnotise someone. This time it's at least better than blacking out."
I gave Madison a small smile. A glimmer of hope resurfaced in my mind. I still had a chance. We still had a chance. I knew that we could fix all of this.
Before we could say anything further, Mr Adams suddenly sprang up and shook off his ropes. Nico went to stop him, but Mr Adams hit him in the jaw and Nico fell over. Madison quickly pulled out a gun and Mr Adams ran off, disappearing out of the alley.
"You take care of Nico," Madison commanded me. "I'll go find him."
Madison ran out of the alley as I went over to where Nico was lying.
"Hey, hey," I said, crouching next to him. "Come on. Wake up."
I spoke more to myself than I did to him. He lay still on the ground. I had no medical experience, so I had no idea what to do with him. Luckily, he started to stir.
"Are you okay?" I asked as he lifted up his head.
"Yeah," he replied. "Just a bit... woozy. That was quite a hit."
I let out a soft sigh of relief. He was alright. No thanks to me, I guess, but what was I supposed to do?
"Madison went after Mr Adams," I said.
"We should go find them," Nico said, sitting upright. "Madison may need some help."
Nico and I rushed out of the alley. We quickly noticed the route the two took, since a bunch of things were knocked over going in one direction. We sprinted side by side, looking for more clues, until we heard a shout from somewhere ahead of us. Nico and I made eye contact for a split second, sharing a worried look, and continued running.
We soon reached a intersection where Madison and Mr Adams was engaged in combat. I noticed the gun was lying to the side and quickly picked it up. Nico was about to intercept the fight, when Mr Adams slumped down in front of Madison.
"He's quite good, you know," Madison remarked. "Almost had me a few times. He got my gun out of my hands."
She walked over to me and held out her hand.
"I guess I just have much more training with this type of thing," Madison said.
She beckoned to the gun in my hand. I quickly handed it over and she stuffed it somewhere out of sight in her clothes.
"I guess we should tie him up again," I said. "And take him back. Maybe I can make him normal when he wakes up again."
"How did Mr Adams escape out of his ropes, anyway?" Nico asked.
"He probably pretended that he was asleep so that he could untie himself and get away," I replied. "I guess that almost worked out for him."