Chapter 20

I watched as Grace and Gavin looked at Kori. She was in her hospital bed.

She's in a coma. The loud beeping of the machines beside her bed filled my hearing. Grace held Kori's hand as she cried. Gavin put his hand on her shoulder.

I turned away from them. After a while I heard them walk over to me and Gavin looked at me.

"It's been months Gavin..." I said crossing my arms and looking down.

"I know Caleb." He said. I felt him hug me and I sighed. He pulled back and grabbed Grace's hand.

"We will come to visit later okay?" He said. I didn't respond and he just walked out of the room with Grace.

I heard the door close and I turned back to Kori. I walked over to her and sat in the chair beside her bed.

I picked up her cold hand off the white bed sheets and held it in both of my hands. I looked at her face. She had a bandage over her left eye and a restless look on her face. My shoulder has already healed but still hurt from time to time.

It's already the end of August and school has already started.

But I could never focus in class. I always stared out the window and whenever I got the chance I would go to the same football field, the same bleachers, to the same spot that she did. I wonder if she can hear me.

"Kori..." I whispered. If she stays like this for the next month then the doctors will pull the plug on her. She has a deadline.

I heard the door opening and I looked up to see Kori's nurse. She smiled at me and walked over.

"How is our little angel doing today?" She asked as she sat on the opposite side of her bed. I shook my head and sighed.

She nodded and made sure nothing was wrong with her. They have to check on her three times a day because she sometimes is internally bleeding. I set her hand down and looked at the nurse.

"What should I do?" I asked her. She smiled at me.

"I'm sure she can hear what everyone is saying. She is probably scared. It's all up to her if she lives or if she dies. But she does need help." She said.

I looked back at Kori. After a while the nurse walked out of the room leaving me alone again.

"Kori. Please stay."

***

What's going on? I looked around to see white. Where am I? I heard tapping noises from behind me and I saw Aunt Carrie. My eyes widened.

"Kori?" She asked. I felt tears slide down my face. I ran towards her and jumped into her arms.

"I never got to say goodbye to you! I missed you so much!" I yelled. She hugged me gently and sighed.

"I miss you too Kori. But, what are you doing here?" She asked. I looked at her. What am I doing here? I can't remember anything. But I feel like something is missing. Something important to me.

"I can't remember." I said. She wiped the tears off my face and smiled at me. I smiled at her.

"Kori?"

I heard a familiar voice. I saw my Aunt look up and smile. I turned around and saw the person standing behind us.

"Dad?"

I covered my mouth and looked at him. He smiled and ran towards me. I ran towards him and jumped into his arms.

"Dad!" I yelled out. He hugged me and spun me around.

"I missed you so much." He whispered.

"I missed you too." I said. I felt hot tears run down my cheeks as he hugged me tightly.

"I never thought I would see you again." He said as he set me down. I smiled at him.

"I didn't think I would see you ever again." I said. Aunt Carrie walked up to us and smiled.

I smiled at them both. They both had tears in their eyes as they looked at me.

I heard a voice call out my name. I turned and looked around.

"What was that?" I asked.

"What do you mean?" I heard my aunt say. I looked back at them. They seemed confused. They can't hear it?

***

I looked around my bedroom. I had another dream. Kori was standing in front of me in a shallow pool of water surrounded by the sky.

She reached out to me and I reached for her. She then disappeared. I looked at the sky that was flying past me and I cried.

Then, I wake up.

I sighed as I laid back down. In other dreams I'm calling out to her. Sometimes I can't even sleep at all. I looked over at the made up side of the bed.

I felt something jab into my side and I pulled out the tag Kori was wearing around her neck and the bracelet I gave her.

My jaw clentched and I held the trinkets tightly.

I felt tears slide down my cheeks as I thought about when I put the bracelet on her wrist. I kissed the different colored beads and fell asleep with them in my hand.

|I honestly cried writing this. But anyways. I hope you enjoyed this chapter and I will see you next chapter.|