Chapter 13

I walked down the rain covered streets. A red umbrella over my head. I looked at the people walking past me with out them noticing me. They were laughing and dancing in the rain.

"Hey Kori!" I heard a familiar voice call behind me. I turned around to see Grace running up to me with Gavin following behind. Gavin sighed. "Will you stop running off before you get wet." He said to Grace as he held the umbrella over the both of them. "Hey guys." I said with a slight smile.

Grace hugged me and she smiled. Gavin stood next to her and waved a little at me.

"What brings you guys out here?" I asked. They both blushed a little.

"We are on a date." Gavin said with a little crack in his voice. I smiled at them.

"Well I guess that I will leave you two on your date then. I have to go do some stuff. Bye guys." I said as I turned away from them. I didn't want to ruin their date.

As I heard Grace start to argue I turned to see Gavin pulling her away. It's been a week. I've been staying at Caleb's house. Even though hes been cheering me up, it still hurts. It reminds me of the day we lost dad.

~Flashback~

I laughed as mom almost fell trying to catch the towel that fell off the coffee table. I was being homeschooled then.

I was only homeschooled half the year so I ended up going to the high school in December because mom couldn't see me as often. Aunt Carrie laughed with me.

"When your old, one day you might break your hip Valerie." My aunt said laughing. Mom simply smiled and sat down.

It was late summer in that time period.

"So have you heard from John lately?" Aunt Carrie asked Mom. She sighed.

"I haven't been able to reach him lately." My mom said as she looked down.

I put my hand on top of hers and smiled. She smiled weakly for my benefit. We then heard a knock at the door. My mom stood up as well as my aunt. Mom told me to take the cups of tea we had earlier to the kitchen as she stood.

I smiled and nodded and picked them up and walked into the kitchen. I listened to the conversation but could only get little words.

I turned back to see mom covering her mouth as the police man at our door said something to her. At first I didn't understand. The the police man gave something shiny to mom.

Then it hit me. Hard.

Mom stared at it as my aunt comforted her.

"I'm sorry." The police man said as he walked off the porch. She closed the door and sat down on the couch.

"Mom?... " I asked slowly. She looked at me with tears in her eyes.

"I'm sorry Kori. I'm so sorry." She said as she looked down and clenched the tag in her hand.

"Kori, please don't cry." Aunt Carrie said to me. I didn't even realize I was crying until it was pointed out. The silent tears slid down my face.

~End Of Flashback~

I looked at the concrete as I walked. I walked up to the tall building. I had on a black dress lined with gold thread. I had my hair in a pony tail.

I wore the braclet that Caleb gave to me. My grey sweater clung to me as I walked inside the tall building. I looked around as I saw people with saddened looks on their faces. These must be the people she must have worked with.

Caleb said he would meet me here. He didn't want me going alone. A few people walked up to me and said their sorrys. I didn't want to be rude so I smiled weakly and nodded and thanked them.

I heard footsteps behind me and turned around to see Caleb with his black hair slicked back and his green eyes shining in the light of the building. He was wearing a black tux with a black tie that he kept trying to fix.

"Sorry I'm late. Apparently I don't know how to tie a tie." He said holding up the mess in front of me. I smiled a little and straightened his tie for him.

"It's alright the service is about to begin." I said calmly. He turned to me and smiled a little.

"I'm here okay?" He said as he extended his hand to me. I smiled and put my hand in his and we walked through the small door that led to a big room with a casket sitting in the middle surrounded by flowers.

I walked up to the casket. I didn't want to open it. But I did at the same time. The preacher opened the casket case seeing my thoughts. I looked at my aunts lifeless body.

She looked peaceful. I stared down at her until Caleb finally grabbed my hand and pulling me over to sit down. We sat through the service and we made our way to the grave yard.

The casket was already getting loaded into the pit of dirt. It was going to fast. I sprinkled some dirt over the casket and Caleb dropped a white flower into the hole.

I finally felt my self cry. Caleb hugged me and had me hide my face. He knew that I hated when people see me cry. We walked away from the grave as the buried the casket. I remember going to dads funeral. It was not much different.

When we got back to Calebs house I sat on the couch and sighed. I took off the earrings I wore as Caleb loosened his tie. He sat beside me and we sat in silence. He broke it by grabbing my head and pulling me to him and I layed my head on his shoulder.

"I'm really sorry Kori. It's all I can say." He said. I closed my eyes.

"I know."