Chapter 23

I awake to darkness.

Turn it back on. It'll save you.

I sit up and gasp. I turn to see Joanna crying on the floor.

"What's wrong?" I ask as I get up and stretch.

"I-I can't go outside or do anything. I - I feel a million emotions at once," she says.

I sigh and walk to the hotel room. I grab one of my rings and begin to chant the spell that'll protect her from the sun. Once I feel it bind I walk over to her.

"Here, it's a daylight ring, now quit you're blubbering and go outside," I say and toss it to her.

She smiles and puts it on, at first she is hesitant, but then she uses her vamp speed to get to the outdoors.

I follow nonchalantly behind her. Joanna is smiling and practically dancing.

"Alright, we've got to get out of here. Spells awaiting," I say and she sighs, but follows.

Joanna knows not to challenge me, no one challenges me, except that bastard Elijah. He's practically obsessed! That's why I must change that.

"We're here," I say and get out of the car.

Joanna and I are several hundred feet away from a naval base.

"At the back of the base is where my old cabin is. Under the floorboard lies my grimoire. They probably use the place as a weaponry but the book should still be there. I need you to pretend as if you're father is in there and you are hysterical. You're mother just died and you must break the news to him," I tell her.

She nods.

I need her to do this so that I can get through. There is so much weaponry and explosives here that I must be cautious.

"You ready?" I question.

She nods.

We run to the naval base, like regular humans and Anna is sobbing like a child. The two men at the front aim their weapons at us.

"My father! I must see my father, my mother has passed!" she yells, sobbing the entire time.

The guy gives a suspicious nod.

"Who's she?" he asks.

"I'm her sister," I whisper looking down, acting as if it upsets me that our fake mother has died.

"Who is your father?" he questions.

"Don't worry about it. Just let us in and bring us to the small cabin that holds some of your weaponry," I compel him.

The reason why I didn't compel him from the start was because there are people in watchtowers and cameras who will question it if two normal people came here and were allowed in. I can't compel everyone. Him and his buddy nod and let us in.

Anna clings on to me the entire time. Silent tears are falling down her face. She's an amazing actress. Her screwed up past probably helps to fuel this. We receive many weird looks, but the two men just shake their heads as if it's nothing to worry about. We finally arrive at the cabin.

"Anna, distract them," I say as I enter the cabin.

I walk around and take in the scent and memories spent hear. Now it's a rundown shed that's falling apart. I continue to walk until I hear the hollow part of the floorboard. I life the floorboard and beneath is my grimoire and a box of my herbs.

I take them and shove them in my purse.

I look around and see a bunch of guns and other useless bullshit.

I walk out and smile. I grab Joanna's hand as we follow the guards out of the base.