Chapter Eight :|: Strong or Wrong

(I've kept you all waiting long enough as it is, here's chapter 8!!)

(And soooooo sorrryyyy ive had a lot of testing and life business going on. ill make this one long)

           Eren awoke for the third time that night. Not, however, because of his own damned nightmares. This time, he heard the cry of his sister from downstairs. He shot up, wide eyed despite the clock that chimed 4am. He dashed out from his room and practically sliding down the stairwell rail and bursting through Mikasas room.

             She was already awake when he entered the small bedroom, leaning against the headboard with her hands pulling back her dark hair. Her eyes were swimming and she shook violently, covers wrapped around his sister tightly.

             "Mikasa..." His tone was a hushed state of what it used to be, cracking slightly when he spoke. "It... It'll be ok." He walked toward her bed and wrapped his arms around her, attempting to stop the harsh shivers that tore through her.

             "How do you kn-know?" She gave a half-hearted shove, but didn't want to admit that family was the closest thing she wanted right the and there.

              "Just... Give it some time. Mom could be alright she's not dead. And when father comes home it can go back to normal."

              Mikasa sighed with a small nod, but never turned to look at Eren.

.:|:.:|:.:|.:|:.:|:.:|:.:|:.:|:.

              That day, Eren and Mikasa had stayed home from school, hoping to get a chance to see their mother, which didn't happen. She wasn't in good enough condition for company and still hadn't woken up yet. Eren didn't feel up to facing people anyways. Staying home seemed like the best option.

              The day dragged by and it consisted mostly of Eren starring out the kitchen window, and Mikasa reading a few of her books. She always tried to read to get away from her problems, which was starting to almost make sense to him.

               Wednesday, they went to school. It was the last week, and they could have easily stayed home, but Armin had visited after school the day before, and talked them both into sucking it up and dragging themselves there. Eren could always count on Armin to break him from a daze.

.:|:.:|:.:|.:|:.:|:.:|:.:|:.:|:.

                 The three students walked into the building Wednesday morning, the siblings with their heads low, and the blond trying to cheer them up. But, Armin couldn't do much. The bell rang just as they entered the double doors, like it always did, and Armin hauled Eren to their first period. Most of the students in his History class heard about the incident and confronted him about it. Some of the kids snickered to themselves, some of them tried to comfort him, but the entire period was full of whispers.

                  Eren was starting to wish he'd stayed home.

                  But, by the time lunch pulled around, it felt like there was charred rocks being churned around in his stomach. Sasha approached him slowly, but then threw her arms around him in a fierce hug.

                   "Eren!" She wailed, gripping the material of his shirt and making him feel even more uncomfortable. "I'm so sorrrryyy!"

                    He patted her shoulder awkwardly, pushing her away by her shoulders. He looked away, hiding his reddening eyes. "I'm.... I'm fine Sasha.... can you drop it?"

                     Sasha nodded too many times too fast, sitting down quickly with her tray. Eren did the same, sandwiched between Armin and Sasha. The table was quiet and the silence made Eren's lungs burn, aching for the normality of things to get his mind off of things. Off of his mother...

                       The brunette next to him took a deep breath, putting a hand on his shoulder and giving a reassuring smile. "It's all going to be ok. Oh! and remember? The party is tonight! That can get you mind off of things! Hopefully... Now you have to come! It will be good for you, and ev-" Eren stopped listening, pushing a carrot slice around on his plastic tray, breathing in the smell of the awful food and forcing a smile on his face. He could do this. He could push on and be ok. He had to.

                        Eren interrupted his friends rant, holding up his hand. "Fine. I'll go," He said. Sasha squealed and clapped her hands. That got her mood up to speed, the gears clicking behind her mind as she started ranting to Christina. Eren smiled. She was so easily persuaded. It scared him sometimes, but right now, it's all he wanted. Armin gave him a grin that didn't reach his blue eyes, flattening the collar of his shirt.

                         Eren would make this work.

                         That much he could promise himself.  

                          The bell rang and Eren sprang from his seat, a little too quickly, he clutched the side of the table with one hand. The other grabbed for his tray and dropped it in the wash bin on his way to class. His heart began to race randomly. His shoes catching under him as he took a sharp turn.

                           His next class was math.

                          He pushed the door open with his shoulder and strode inside. He was one of the first to class. He could hear Sasha's footsteps entering the halls, her panting calls for him to slow down. But, he'd stopped entirely. He made eye contact with someone familiar, like he'd known them for years, when it's only been days.

                           Mr. Rivaille.

                           Eren ducked his head in a small nod and made it to his seat quickly, starring at the floor. Mr. Rivaille's stare was a flame burning in the back of his neck, yet it sent goose bumps and a shiver down his spine. He could feel the silver gaze on the back of his neck. When he turned back from his things and sat in his seat, the teacher was walking by his desk. Eren starred at the floor, twiddling his thumbs as the shorter man approached his desk.

                            "Eren," Mr. Rivaille addressed him firmly. "You missed a lot of work yesterday. I'll be seeing you after class I suppose?"

                            Eren just nodded, but didn't make eye contact. Mr. Rivallie frowned for a moment, catching the dark circles under Eren's eyes, the sockets seeming hollow and his stature frail with mood.

                             "Oi, why not you try getting some sleep sometimes, brat. What, did you even sleep last night? What happen to you?"
                             "Mr-Mr. Rivaille, my moth-"

                             "Yes I heard about that. Is that you sob excuse for not showing up to class yesterday?"

                             Eren couldn't believe it. How could someone be so careless. Eren closed his eyes and clenched his fists. "S..sob story?" He hissed through gritted teeth. Eren slammed his book closed and sprung from his desk quickly, facing the shorter man in a whirl. Mr. Rivaille stared with the same bored expression, unfazed by the teens sudden burst.

                              He gripped Eren shoulder tightly and wrenched him back into his seat. Eren cried out, muffled by his hand covering his mouth. He watched the man stride back to his desk casually through tear-pricked eyes.

                               "I hope you don't have too many plans after school, Jaeger. You have makeup work to take care of."