Chapter 3 - The Room

Nurse Grant shut the door firmly behind me, and gestured me to sit down. I obliged, sitting down on a comfy seat. I put my hands on my lap and stared blankly into Nurse Grant's eyes.

"Why am I here?" I asked emotionlessly.

Nurse Grant's pupils dilated, and nervous sweat trickled down her forehead.

"T-that cannot be explained, y-yet, E-3456," she stuttered nervously.

"Why?" I asked blankly.

"Because it can't!" Nurse Grant shouted. "I'm sorry, E-3456.....it's - been a hard day."

A robotic smile spread on my face. "Okay," I replied, my voice deadpan.

Nurse Grant sighed with relief. "Now......how has your day been, E-3456?"

"It's been fine, Nurse." I replied softly.

Nurse Grant smiled. "I would like you to watch a video, E-3456."

"Okay." I replied in monotone, carefully watching as Nurse Grant brought out a tape.

"What's that?"

"Haha. It's from a long time ago, E-3456. But it's something I'd like you to watch."

"Why?" I inquired, wanting to stutter but I somehow didn't. Nurse Grant smiled.

"Just watch the video." She ordered, her eyes cold and firm, but her lips apart in a wide and welcoming smile. Perhaps she was forcing her smile, but I couldn't be sure.

Nurse Grant pressed play, and I watched the video. It started out as two girls playing on the grass.

"Tilly! Wait up!" Another girl said, giggling.

"No, Lily! I need to see this!" I heard a voice that sounded strangely like mine except....younger? I saw both girl's faces. One had short blonde hair, uneven as though she'd cut it herself, who I assumed was Lily. She looked strangely similar to the other girl, who had a dress like me. Suddenly a hand grabbed the girl, Tilly, and took her away.

"Tilly, no! Come back!" Lily pleaded, her face filled with fear.

"Come on......Experiment 3456."

"Wrong tape!" Nurse Grant said quickly, taking it out. She gripped it firmly in her hand.

"What was that? The girl looked like me-"

"No she didn't!" Nurse Grant snapped all too quickly. I stared deep into her light blue eyes. Sweating. Nervous behaviour.

She was lying.

"You liar." I whispered menacingly, standing up out of my seat, unbelievable anger shooting through me like spears.

Nurse Grant pressed a red button on the wall. "Mayday, mayday!" She shrieked loudly, cowering away from me in fear. "E-3456 has gone out of control, again! We must get the drugs immediately!"

This has happened before? I didn't know that. But I certainly knew I wasn't gonna forget again. I pushed past Nurse Grant and through the door. It wasn't locked, and I ran outside.

Nurse Grant yelled some more, but I didn't bother to look back. I ran, ran, ran, my bare feet pitter-pattering on the metal floor as I desperately tried to find somewhere to hide in this apparently cruel place.

I found a cupboard, and figuring it would do, hid inside it. There were so many questions floating in my mind as I tried not to breathe too much.

Who is Lily?

I had a life before this place?

Were they hiding anymore secrets?

But the question that I pleaded to know the most came to me, as I processed how unimaginably angry I had felt in the Video Room.

Am I normal?