Chapter 18 - Isla's Backstory

It's funny how a simple thing can knock on to an entire chain of events that change your entire life.

For me, it was lack of food. If I had still been cared for, I would still have been the innocent, controlled E-3456 that I was before. Maybe I wanted to be here as an Outcast now, and maybe I didn't....I couldn't be sure. Maybe they wanted me to leave my cell on purpose.....I know them showing the video was no accident. The whole thing was a test. They were testing me, and I failed. Sure, I'd love to be back there again, so sweet and innocent so I would never have to know the terrible truth. But another half of me stops, and thinks......you know what? I'm glad I knew the terrible truth before it was too late. I can't try to avoid the inevitable.....it's like trying to escape a room with no windows or doors. But there's times when I wish I was never in this situation - times when I wish I was someone else - someone who actually got the chance to see what the Higher Life is like. You know, the people who weren't caught, drugged, and played with like science dummies? Yeah, those people. Oh, what I wouldn't give to be one of them....

I was thinking too deeply. I had stuff to do, and a war to train for. I got up off of my bed and trailed across the room. I quickly combed my hair and left the room.

I walked off to the Training Grounds, with everyone else. I hoped I would be paired with someone I could talk to, as I'm not very strong and I knew I'd get bored easily. Although I heard we'd be handling machetes, which sounded very fun. I filed into the room where some other Outcasts I didn't recognise were training.

Suddenly, Yuki appeared. "Ladies and gentlemen! Can I have your attention, please?"

Everyone turned their attention to Yuki.

"Good. Now, today's session goes as follows. Tilly, Mark, Jasper, Isla and Emily, you will follow me to The Main Outcasts' Training Area. Come along, now."

I walked up to Yuki. "I'm here."

"Good. Where's everyone else?"

"Uh...." I looked around, and spotted Isla in a corner by herself. "Isla......I guess. Everyone else must be late."

Yuki growled in annoyance. "Yeah. Go wait with Isla, while we wait for the others to come."

"Sure thing." I strolled over to where Isla was sitting.

"Hey, Isla. Is it okay if I sit beside you?"

"Of course. Just don't squash Izzy. She doesn't like it when people sit on her." Isla smiled slightly.

"Who's Izzy?"

"Oh, sorry. I forgot. Izzy's my friend, only I can see her, so don't belittle me and act like you can see her too." Isla warned. "Izzy and I don't like those type of people. Just sit here and I'll talk to you. Izzy will just sit here beside us."

"Is Izzy.....your invisible friend? Cool! I had one when I was little. She had dreadlocks, and could do handstands and everything!" I smiled fondly.

"I don't know whether she's an imaginary friend. I don't think she's 100% real, but I think she is a little bit. But I guess that's what people call her. Izzy came to me when......before......"

"Before you came here?" I whispered gently. "It's okay, Isla. You've been through a lot and that's fine. You'll get through it."

"Mhm. While I was being......tortured, Izzy came to me. We've been friends ever since." Isla smiled fondly. "We have a lot in common. She doesn't like meeting new people.....new people scare her, because we're they'll be like Evan Parker. Don't tell Yuki, but Evan did do bad. Even if she doesn't think so."

"Is Izzy getting used to me yet?" I smiled. "I'm not as scary as you think I am."

"No, I don't think you're scary. It's just.....your a Chosen One like Evan and I'm afraid you'll turn on us. But Izzy says you're okay. So I'm going to trust you. A little bit."

"I heard you......are.....powerless. Sorry." I said, delving into sensitive topics.

"Yes. I am the only experiment who passed the drug session without being injected. I was the only one. Some people call me lucky.....but I think it extremely unfortunate.....especially with what happened afterwards....."

"What....happened?"

"They found out I was powerless. Then they punished me.....by attaching me to a wheel, and spinning me.....around."

I could tell this was hard for Isla. I put my arm around her. "I'm here for you, Isla. No one else will ever hurt you again. I won't let them."

"That's so kind of you, Tilly." Isla smiled. "You....have a good heart."

"You're welcome."

"So.....they told me I was worthless.....and that no one will ever help me. I screamed.....and they said no one will ever hear me. I cried....and they said no one will ever comfort me. Then....they let me go.....and said, "if I ever see your hideous face ever again, we'll kill you, understand?" I was so scared.....that I complied and ran. I was never seen again by any of them. And I hope I never am." Tears were streaming down poor Isla's face now.

"Listen. They will never touch you. You're safe here. No one will hurt you. I will hurt anyone who tries to hurt you. No one deserves the treatment you got. Less still a young child with so much sparkling potential....you're a real fighter, Isla. You got through this when not many people would. I know I wouldn't have been able to take that. You're such a strong person, Isla. I bet that's been told to you countless times, but I genuinely mean it."

"Thank you, Tilly. Y-you are.....special. I can feel it." Isla whispered quietly. "Izzy thinks so too."

"I'm glad she does," I smiled. "Listen, Isla. If you ever want anyone to talk to, I'm here, okay? I won't bite you. Well, maybe if you're food," I laughed, and Isla smiled slightly.

"Thanks, Tilly. I'm glad someone is here for me. Sometimes Izzy doesn't always calm me down," she glanced at the floor.

"Tilly! Isla! The others are here now, can you follow us please?"

"Oh. Time to go." I stood up, and helped Isla up. "See you there, Isla."

"Mmm," Isla hummed, turning quiet again.

We all gathered together, and followed Yuki to the Training Area.

I hoped we'd get trained well.

It's about time I get to kick ass.