Chapter 29 - Epilogue

Three years later, and I still relish in the taste of freedom every time I open my eyes.

I live in the country now; with my father. I live in a big, abandoned house with Emily and Mark. We all live together, so we can be an informal family at last.

There are some things I must fill you in with first:

Soon after we were free, we discovered an old house. We inhabited ourselves within it, and made it our duty to make a graveyard for all those we lost. Lucia's grave was a large stone stuck in the ground, her name engraved on it. Next was Jasper's. We found a bigger stone so we could engrave his favourite catchphrase on it.

Jasper Lee Wilde
2218 - 2235
"Secrets Are Locks, Knowledge Is Key"

I found a small town near our house, which just so happened to have a small theatre within. I made it my duty to attend the theatre once a week, in memory of Jasper.

I stood in my room, thinking about what I should do.

"Tilly?" I turned to see Yuki standing there. She held a piece of paper in her hand.

"What is it?"

"Well, three years ago, I went into Jasper's room to fetch any memorials he had left. I looked in his drawer and found this note. I couldn't bring myself to read it, so I left it. And....I thought you might like to read it."

"Thank you, Yuki." I walked over and took the note from her hand. I unfolded the paper and read its contents:

Dear Tilly,

I want you to know, that I'm doing fine. It's almost time for battle and I've made glorious memories with you. I wouldn't change anything for the world. I want you to know, if I die tomorrow, please don't worry: I'll be okay. Just make sure you go to the theatre and please don't forget me. I love you, Tilly. And if I die tomorrow, I want you to know I'll always be by your side. I believe in life after death, so I think I'll be alright. You're such a strong person, you'll be okay. You have Mark, anyway. He deserves you. More than I do. I don't even know if I'll send this. Somehow I think you'll know everything that's written here on paper. So long, Tilly. See you in battle.

Sincerely,
Jasper

I wiped a tear from my eye as I read the last words. "Thank you for giving this to me, Yuki. I shall treasure it forever." I put it on my desk.

"Um, I think Mark wants you," Yuki turned round behind her. "Yeah."

"Oh. Tell him to wait a second, I just gotta do something."

"Sure thing." Yuki turned round and shut the door.

I walked over to my diary, and ripped my entries out. I was gonna turn it into a story.

My story.

I leaned over the paper and wrote the first words, the words that started it all.

I'm different.

I know I'm different.

And maybe that's not so bad after all.

The End