11| Chapter Eleven

ALEXI

Once the doctor examined me, he asked to speak to Fury outside for a few minutes. I sat silently on the bed as I waited. It seemed like forever before he entered the room again. He looked grim but he gave me a small smile.

“The doctor has agreed to discharge you, but that means you need to take it easy,” he said softly.

I nodded. Anywhere was better than having to stay in this hospital room. I needed to make a lot of decision but I wanted to hear what they had to say before making a choice. What Slade said needed to be explained. I wanted to know more about the twins. I've been thrown into their life and it's my right to know what was happening.

“Slade's going to bring you some clothes.”

I nodded again not even bothering to answer him. The feeling of the wounds has started to return now that the pain meds had worked out of my blood. It fucking hurts but not as bad as it did when the attack happened. I shivered as the image of that thing flashed through my mind.  

“Princess?”

“What attacked me?” I asked softly.

“We don't know yet. We're still trying to figure it out. Our men are searching for footprints in the surrounding woods.”

“Your men?”

“I promised you that we'll have a talk, but let's save it for when you get home. Okay?”

The silence between us only lasted for a few seconds before the door opened. Slade entered with a black gym bag in his hand. He placed it on the end of the bed before glancing at me. His eyes held sadness which confused me to no end. Why is he so sad?

“I'm not sure what you wanted to wear, so I packed a few things,” he muttered.

“Thanks.”

The twins nodded. Awkward silence settled between us until Slade cleared his throat.

“We'll wait outside,” he said.

I watched as they exit the room before throwing back the sheets.
Sliding to the edge of the bed, I slid down to the floor. For a few seconds I was hit with numbing pain. I sucked in a sharp breath, gripping the bed as my vision blurred.

“Breathe Lexi,” I whispered to myself.

Even the pain of the car crush wasn't so bad, but then again Fury gave me some of his blood which eventually healed me. Once the pain had faded, I pulled the bag closer then unzipped it. There was a pair of jeans with some grey sweatpants and a sweatshirt with a long-sleeved t-shirts. There was also a pair of ballet flats, flip-flops and sneakers. I pulled out the sweatpants and sweatshirt along with the flats. The hospital gown dropped to the floor after I untied the strings. It took some effort to get the pants up my legs but I managed. I found it easier and less painful to pull on the sweatshirt. Once I was done, I slipped my feet into the shoes before zipping up the bag. There was a soft knock on the door before it was pushed open.

Slade entered the room silently. He gave me a glance before stepping closer. Picking up the discarded gown, he dropped it on the bed before picking up the bag.

“Fury's waiting by the car.”

I stepped in front of him to hide the wince as I walked. My skin was pulling tight every time I took a step forward. By the time we made it to the door, I was once again light-headed. I gripped the door handle tightly as I squeezed my eyes shut.

“Lexi,” Slade breathed, “let me carry you.”

I shook my head as I felt his hand on my back. I could do it myself. I needed to do it myself. When I opened my eyes, my vision had cleared. Slade kept his hand on my lower back as we walked down the hall. It smelled like a hospital but didn't look like one. Sure the walls were painted white and the floors were tiled. Some paintings of nature hang here and there. There weren't the usual things that came with a normal hospital. Like the rushed doctors and nurses. The patients waiting for space to open up so they could go in to see a doctor.