Chapter 6: The New Band

Revised: 2/13/18

Winner of the joke: alyssaking105

Joke: What is a chicken's favorite school subject?

Answer: Chickenometry (trigonometry)

Words: 2033

Becky came over to me in my chair.

"Louis, it's okay, at least you can stay for another week until the votes come in," Becky said, trying to comfort me.

I stand up and give her a hug. "I know, Becky, but I feel like my dream has just barely been crushed into a million pieces, making it impossible to fix."

She looks up at me and wipes away my tears. "Louis, even if you don't win, you'll still be my big brother, and nothing can change that."

A fresh set of tears stream down my face. I want to go back to the house, lock myself in my room and cry.

After everyone was done performing, and the votes were coming in. I don't bother to check how many votes I have, because there are so many people that sing better than me, Liam and Harry especially.

***

That night, we all sit around the TV and watch some musicals with popcorn. Some of us, including me, have dried up tear streaks on our cheeks.

"Cheer up, lads, we can still be here if we get enough votes," Joe was saying.

***

A few days later, Everyone is downstairs in the living room watching more musicals, mostly Disney movies. It gets interrupted by my phone ringing in almost full volume. I check the caller ID and see that it's Mum.

"Sorry, I apologize, I have to take this," I say before answering the phone and going somewhere quieter.

"Hello?" I answer.

"How's it going, Lou?" Mum asked.

"It's going fine."

"How is the competition? I saw you on TV the other night, and you got a 'no'. How's that working for you?"

I instantly had a breakdown. I wish I wasn't reminded of the 'no'. I sniffled, but Mum must have heard.

"Louis, honey, I know your eighteen, but I'm still your Mum. It's okay. Everyone at home will still love you, winner of X Factor or not."

I started crying, barely audible.

"Mum, it feels like I'm broken in side!" I force out of the tears. I wipe my eyes and sniff again. "I can only stay if I get enough votes."

"Louis, just remember this. I love you, Louis, no matter what happens."

I had it. I was ready to up to my room and cry.

"Mum, I love you, too," I force before breaking down completely. "Bye, Mum, I love you, and tell Dad, Grandma, and Grandpa that I love them," I said with a sniffle.

"Bye, Louis," Mum said.

I hang up and go up to my room. I lock the door, and cry into my pillow for what felt like hours. I heard a knock.

"Go away!" I call.

"Louis, it's me, Becky," I hear someone call. "Can I come in?"

"Sure, it's locked though," I call to her.

It's silent except for my small sobs, then I hear the lock click. Becky comes in my room and sits by me on the bed.

"Hey, Lou, it's okay," Becky said as she hugged me.