The Pocket Knife

Jack*
It felt like forever.
The moon disappeared and the bright sun took its place.
Nobody had shown up since I arrived at the river side where we agreed to meet.
I began to grow impatient and decided it was time to look for everyone.
I started to walk west hoping that everyone was just a bit up the noisy river.
...
I walked silently listening for any sign of life.
A bird chipped happily from a tree near by. Morning dew dripped off leaves and bounced on my head.
The soft crunching of my feet on the earth was the only thing I could really hear except for the river and the bird.
A light breeze swept my skin lightly and swayed my hair (which needed a trim).
You could now see the brown roots of my hair but the silver platinum blond remained on the rest of my hair.
I had began to gain more muscle from scavenging and my face was beginning to sprout facial hair.. again.
I was planning on shaving today since the town had razors ,but I guess not anymore...
I could probably make a supply run.
Sure there would be thousands of walkers but if there was a distraction I could definitely scavenge the area. There was the hospital that I could search .The gardens would still have some vegetables growing. The armory was still full of guns when we left. I could probably make a quick stop at the library and get Hic and Rapunzel some books. Rapunzel and Hic have already read and done a lot of research over the infection, but they both say they can't find any information over it.
I let out a deep breath before the sound of a walker interrupted me. I tenced up and goosebumps began to appear on my arms.
Please dont let it be my friends.
I walked forward a little until I got to some bushes and ducked down before peering through them.
A man laid on the earth face down and a walker was also laying down reaching toward the dead man.
I walked out from behind the bushes. They for Sure were not my friends. The walkers was tall and blond. He was really built. Something seemed odd about him. I inspected him closer that's when I saw that his back was crooked or more like broken.I could tell it was bad because I could see it was broken and he was laying on his back. Poor basturd.
I looked at the other man and my eyes widened.
The man was face down. He was shorter than the other guy and not as built but the thing that got my attention was the object that was jammed into his head.I lowered my hand towards the corpes and ripped it out.
I inspected it. The object was a knife.. a pocket knife.. a very familiar pocket knife. The teal handle of the knife was bloody, but I could still see the "M" imprinted on the handle. This was Merida's knife. The one she would never leave the house without, the one she had since she was 13. She wouldn't just stab someone and leave it there unless she absolutely needed to. I looked up at the shrubs. I got to my feet and looked at them carefully. Something caught my eye. I red curl was caught in some leaves. Merida was in the bush... I looked back at the scene of the dead men. Merida wasn't attacked. There was no way she was attacked. She attached them, but why?
I looked at the scene again. For anything that could lead me to know what happened. That's when I looked at the river. At the edge of the river there was a smudge on the earth. I walked closer to it. It wasn't just a smudge. I looked over the edge and saw blood on a rock. Someone fell...
Oh god. . No please no.
I wanted to bring those man back to life. I wanted them to speak and tell me who fell into the river.
Merida was defending someone and that person fell into the river.
I put my hands over my head as I tried to catch my breath. I didn't even know why I was breathing really hard. I started to pace. I searched my brain.
What happened exactly?
Who fell in?
Are my friends alive?
I looked at the dead men. No.. Merida didn't fall it had to be someone else. It had to be a friend.
I didn't know if I should follow the river and try and find who ever fell in. It wasn't likely that the person would live, but I wanted to know who it was. I held the pocket knife tighter in my hand. I looked west before I noticed the foot prints implanted in the soft earth.
There were two sets. One of the pair prints had to be from Merida. Since the prints were a good few feet apart she had to be running.
I let my arm drop to my side and began to follow the footprints. I had to find Merida.