Chapter 12: A Gift

Katelyn balled her hands into fists. "Get away from me you creep." She said through gritted teeth.

Kai suddenly grabbed her arm, his grip was tight, she couldn't pull away. He pulled her into the a dark corner, people were too drunk to notice her struggling. "Now, tell me." He meowed. "Why are you with him?" His grip was still tight on her arm.

"Because I love him, and he's not a complete stalker like you." She seemed to growl. Her gaze was as cold as ice.

Kai's grip tightened. He reached into his coat pocket. Katelyn felt her heart beat faster, and her blood roared in her ears.

Does he have a gun?

Instead of the horrible thing that Katelyn was imagining, he pulled a necklace out of his pocket. It was quite beautiful actually, with a silver chain and a fiery ruby in the center. It seemed to sparkle as Katelyn rested her eyes on it. Kai pulled out her hand, and opened it from the tight fist she had created. Carefully, he placed the necklace in it.

"A gift, from me to you." He said, his voice as sweet and charming as honey. He closed her fist around it, a little smile on his face.

Katelyn looked up to meet Kai's eyes. Her eyes were a mixture of confusion and concern. Kai leaned forward, just enough to whisper in her ear. "If you value Travis' life, you'll keep it close." He whispered, his sweet tone turning venomous as a snake.

Katelyn let out a light gasp as Kai brushed his lips against hers as he pulled away. Without a second thought she punched him right in the nose. She herd an audible crack as she felt his nose break under her powerful blow. With that, the man fell to the ground, out cold.

Katelyn looked down at him, her expression blank as a crowed began to draw near.

"Oh my God! Did she kill him?" One lady screamed, stumbling towards Kai and Katelyn, obviously drunk.

Katelyn looked up to see Laurence and Lucinda shove past the crowed to get to her. "What in the name of Irene happened here?" He asked, looking down at Kai.

Katelyn looked up at Laurence and Lucinda. "Self defense." Was all she said. Her fist had traces of blood on it, so she wiped it on her shirt.

Lucinda rushed to her friend. "Katelyn, sweetie, what did this man do to you? We saw him at the bar and-"

"I have to go. I have to get home. Sorry Lucinda." Katelyn interrupted, pushing past the growing crowd of people.

"Wait! What are you.." her voice was drowned out by the panicking people.

Kawaii~chan became scared after hearing there was a fight, so she had left a few minutes earlier. Nicole sat at the bar, not really caring about the fight. Katelyn quickly passed her.

"Hey! Were are you going Katelyn? Little scared of the fight? Doesn't seem like something you would be afraid of." She chuckled.

Katelyn didn't answer, just kept walking to the exit.

I have to get out of here. Travis is in danger.

Nicole stood up. "Hey! Wait up Katelyn!" She called. Despite their quarrel, she was now a bit concerned about her friend.

Katelyn pushed open the doors. She looked around for her car. She ran her fingers through her blue hair as she remembered it was still at the library. "Gotta get home." She mumbled.

The sun was beginning to set, and walking alone in the dark was the last thing she wanted to do, but it seemed to be her only option.

Katelyn grabbed a hair tie out of her pocket and put up her hair quickly. She began the long jog home. She began her run, and her stomach was heavy as ever. She hadn't gone on a run since she found out about the baby.

As she ran she avoided looking down any alleys. The sun had now set, and darkness swallowed the city. She felt panic rising in her throat. She stopped at a nearby streetlight and pulled out her phone.

10:18

Katelyn looked around, the streets were empty, without a single person walking or driving. She called Travis.

Ring

Ring

Ring

No answer. She reached inside of her pocket and pulled out the necklace. Even in the darkness, the ruby shined bright as ever. She put it on, Kai's threat had terrified her. She also grabbed her keys and put them in between her fingers. A weapon every girl knows, just in case.

With that she continued to run, her keys jingling with every step. She hated that, not wanting anyone to know she was out at night.

After a few more minutes she couldn't shake the feeling she was being watched, or followed.

Four more blocks. Just keep going.

Soon enough she started hearing the patter of steps behind her. She gave a quick glance over her shoulder. Nothing but darkness. This only made her fear worse. She ran faster.

Just a little more. Almost there.

The footsteps grew faster, as if in pursuit. Katelyn gripped the keys tighter in her fist and pushed on.

After a moment, a hand gripped her shoulder.