Chapter 17: Your Secrets

Katelyn grabbed her notebook off of her nightstand, and headed out of her bedroom. Laurence stood still, dumbfounded.

"Hurry up Laurence. We are going to find Nicole!" Katelyn grabbed his arm and practically drug him outside.

Laurence looked down the street as they were about to get in the car. "We should call the police." He said to Katelyn, still looking around as if someone might be watching them.

Katelyn shook her head as she slid into the drivers seat. "No. I'm going to figure this out myself. At this rate I don't think the police would believe me anyway."

Laurence hesitantly got into the passenger seat. "Uh, why do you even have brass knuckles Katelyn?" He asked, pointing to the glinting weapons that were still on her hands.

"From my street fighting days." She said sarcastically as she started the car. She then looked up at Laurence and he obviously hadn't picked up on her sarcasm because his face was saying.

Oh my gosh, how many people have you killed?

"No, no, I was kidding. These used to be my dads, I have no clue why." For some reason this didn't exactly make Laurence feel any calmer. He just gripped the bat in his hands and looked out the window.

"So.. we are going to Nicole's?" He said after a moment of just staring at nothing. His face was pale, obviously concerned about what was happening. "And can you please explain what is going on? The full story?"

Katelyn sighed and pulled out of the driveway. She explained everything. Kai at the bar, the necklace, the necklace glowing as well as the ring, Travis' odd behavior towards the necklace, the baby, everything. "I think this all somehow ties back to the ring and the necklace." She finished.

Laurence listened with a thoughtful expression, his eyes seeming to soften slightly. "Alright, I sort of understand now. Let's find Nicole and try to figure this whole mess out." He still looked a bit concerned, but at least he was willing to help.

They pulled up in Nicole's driveway. They could see her busily skittering around the house through the big window that looked into her living room. She looked up from inside and gave a quick wave before coming to the door to greet them. "Laurence! Katelyn! So good to see you!" Her eyes flickered to Katelyn's ring, so Katelyn stuffed her hand in her pocket.

"Nicole, can we talk?" Katelyn said, her voice giving off a intimating edge. She looked at Laurence as he left the bat in the car, which was probably a good idea.

"Oh, um... sure." Nicole said, her voice going from optimistic to worried in a split second. She waved the two inside, holding the door open as they passed through.

Katelyn got right to the point. "Do you know anything about this note?" She pulled it out of her pocket, handing it to Nicole.

Nicole hesitantly took the note and read it quickly, her eyes skimming the paper. Her expression grew more fearful as she read. "N-no.." She whispered. "I have no clue what this note is about."

Fury fumed in Katelyn's eyes. She knew when Nicole was lying. Laurence placed a hand on her shoulder, as if telling her to calm down.

"Your notebook Nicole. What is that about? Tell me!" Katelyn gritted her teeth, desperate to get information.

Laurence's grip tightened. "This is important Nicole. Katelyn's future depends on it." He went from hesitant to join Katelyn to fully backing her up on this mission.

Nicole took a few steps back. She didn't want to give up her notebook, not even to her friends. Ever since that night at the club with Katelyn, she had been studying up on the Sapphire Gold Ring, and learned things she felt were better kept secret. "I'll say it again. I don't know what you are talking about."

Laurence gave an icy glare. "You think I didn't see the notebook that you slipped into your purse at the bar?"

Katelyn and Nicole looked at him with expressions of shock.

"Kai is telling the truth?" Katelyn said, a satisfied smile making its way across her face. "That means you do know what I'm talking about Nicole." Her eyes hardened into an angry stare, seeming to bore into Nicole's soul.

Nicole shook her head. "I'm not showing my notebook to you." She said firmly, gripping her hands into fists.

"Nicole. This is so unlike you. Why are you lying about this?" Katelyn said, her eyes slightly softening.

"I can't. It has things that are better not known about." She gave a quick glance at her purse that was on the floor by the door. "It would break your heart..."Nicole whispered.

Katelyn didn't hear her whisper, but instead picked up her glancing at the purse. "It's in there, isn't it?"

Nicole really didn't want to continue with this, she was considering just giving in. With a swift motion she grabbed her purse, the black leather like fabric scrunching up as she gripped it tightly. "If I give it to you. You need to promise not to tell anyone of what is inside. Some people have been trying to hunt down this information for years, I'm lucky to have gathered so much."

Katelyn quickly nodded. "Yes yes, I promise. I just need to find information, I really don't even know what I'm looking for."

Nicole slowly got it out, thinking carefully about if this was really a good idea. "It's about your ring.." she said tenderly, examining her notebook with doodles of cats and foxes all over it.

Katelyn froze, her ring? "W-what about my necklace?" She gripped on to her ruby necklace tight. She knew the ring had something to do with this weirdness, but she was sure the necklace was more important.

Nicole glanced down at the necklace. "Only a little. I couldn't find much on that." She handed Katelyn the notebook. "Give it back to me tomorrow, read at your own risk." With that, she passed the two of them, and headed out to her backyard.

Katelyn held the notebook, looking at it intently without even opening it. She gave a nervous glance at Laurence, hoping that she wouldn't regret discovering the secrets that lay inside.