Chapter 14

Chapter 14

I breathed in the scent of my old friend, he smelled the same as always, a mixture of washing detergent and old spice.

“Why didn’t you tell me you were coming back?” I said, after we had broken the hug, I had continued to stand infront of him, but I had noticed when Harry had walked over and wrapped his arm protectively around my waist.

“Because! I was going to surprise you!” He laughed, then gestured to Harry, “So, Who is the boyfriend?” I blushed and smiled at the ground.

“This is Harry, he is from England.” I smiled, I noticed that they were shaking hands, but the look on both of their faces was not pleasant.

“Miranda! Get out side, we need to show these Brits how soccer is played!” Maria said, poking her head in, I guess she had gotten back from her house.

“Alright, come on boys!” I smiled, and walked outside, I took off my heels and stood barefoot in the grass with  my friends, we stood in a circle, four of us, four of them, and that was with Harry sitting on the side with James.

“Okay, so, the usual?” Natalie asked, sure we looked pretty silly, out here in our dresses, but this was going to be fun.

“Yeah, the usual.” Maria said, the usual consisted of strong defense, known as me and Natalie, and one midfielder, who was usually our friend Madi, and two forwards, which were Maria and our friend Carly, Ashley, was going to take Carly’s place, and we were forgoing a midfielder. We had played indoor soccer for all of high school, had we not?

“Okay, so rules are, the first team to get five goals wins, and girls, try not to hurt yourselves.” Niall smirked at us, Maria kicked the ball back to me, And I kicked it back to her, and she navagated between, Niall and Liam, but Louis stole the ball from her. Quickly, I got into place, my mind was on the game, and right now nothing else mattered.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~  

Four goals on each side later, dinner was ready.

“Alright! Dinner time!” My dad said, putting a blanket in the middle of our makeshift field. Quite honestly, I think I could have collapsed on top of that blanket right then and there. I hadn’t played a game like that in so long. I walked over to it, my legs feeling funky, and plopped down, leaning against Liam.

“You guys played good.” He said, I stuck my tounge out at him, he really needed to shut up, because it was because of this boy that I had a good sized bruise on my leg now.

“Are you alright?” Harry came and sat down on the other side of me, I’m sure he got a kick out of watching me play soccer like that, because quite honestly, I was not afraid to hurt myself or others in the process.

“Oh, this is nothing, you should see the bruises she gets when she plays an actual game!” Maria laughed, My dad came out and placed a plate full of burgers in the center.

“It was like a real game, you guys should think about playing an actual indoor game at the arena. It would be good practice for you girls.” My dad said, sitting down next to Ashley, my mom brought out the rest of the stuff and we all started to make our burgers.

“Well, that does sound like fun, but we would need another person.” I sighed, squirting mayonnaise on my burger, and shoveling chips on my plate.

“You could have one of the girls from your old team come and play, how about Merm, since she is going to college on a soccer scholarship.” My dad suggested, as he took a bite of his plain burger, I honestly did not know how that man lived with himself, everything he ate was plain!

“Great idea! Is there a day that the arena is free?” Maria asked, leaning into Zayn. We all had bruises on our legs except for Harry and James, who had sat on the porch the entire time watching us all play. Let me be the one to tell you, playing soccer without shin guards was no easy task, I do not recommend trying it.

“Next week wednesday is free! You guys should come and play a game!” My dad laughed, taking a chip and putting it into his mouth.

“Sounds like fun! Thank you, Mr. Jones.” Louis said, I looked over at Ashley, she looked like she couldn’t eat anything, which was strange for her.

“Please! Call me Rich!” My dad said, smiling, and the evening melted away into a flurry of smiles and laughs. And eventually we started blowing off fireworks, as the sky turned into a purple twilight.