CHAPTER SIX: The Snappy and the Eavesdropper

CHARIS’ POV

            “Charis Lynn.” She sighed. “What is this?” Her worried voice is reflected so much on the line, as I took a sip of my hot hazel nut latte and placed it beside me, as I seated on the floor, resting my back on the wall. What a beautiful scene, I thought. Surely the sun is not out again, but, it’s always been perfect to be alone, at some point of your life for sure. Especially when..

            “CHARIS LYNN!” My morning appreciation to the beautiful buildings and sky of London was interrupted by my groaning grandmother. “Are you listening, my dear?” Her voice softened over the phone.

            “Yeah, gran. I’m still here.”

            “I know, but are you listening?” I can imagine her eyebrow furrowing, as she turn her head down to me, eyes peaking out of her glasses. The usual expression I grew fond of that made me chuckle a bit. “See?” She said. “You definitely are not.”

            “I’m sorry gran,” I chuckled again. “But I can’t help but to imagine your face as you say, ‘I know, but are you listening?” I mimicked. She sighed in disbelief.

            “Of all the things I am telling you my grand daughter, that is the one thing you remember?”

            “Of course not,” I calmly defended. She did not speak, but just sighed.

            “Granny,” I sweetly started. “Mom could just call me, you know? She doesn’t have to use you all the time to explain herself or to tell me stuff, or least to say or worse to convince me do things for her, for her collection or whatever.”

            “I know kid,” She explained in her most granny way. “But you know yourself that you two always end up fighting, arguing and all until you, you Charis, forget that you still have your mom, your parents or at least me..” She continued to give me again that speech over the year that I have decided to live on my own here in London.

            “Gran,” I successfully interrupted her. “Look, we are in a mother-daughter communicating status now. You don’t have to worry, okay?”

            “I am just telling you my dear, that whatever she’s going to tell you personally, you have to be open as much as possible, okay?”

            “Why don’t just tell me then? So that I could call her right after we talk, and talk to her about whatever deep shit that is.” Ooops.

            “Watch your mouth young lady.” She warned and I have no intentions in saying sorry.

“Just hear her out, no matter what.” Now, is my time to sigh, because I don’t want to even imagine what my mother would want to tell me, that Gran has to give me shitty prep-talk about it.  I just have this feeling that it doesn’t have to do with simple modeling or posing for her designs, but its more than that, that we always argue about. “Promise me, Charis Lynn.”

            “’Kay.” I whispered in defeat. Why can’t I say no to my Gran again? Oh, right. She became my mother when everything in my life turned out to be so damned and tormented. I honestly call her my Wonder Woman for saving my burning soul from hell. “I promise, Gran.”

            “That’s my girl.” She said happily but with doubt, I can tell. “By the way,” She started, just before I could cut this longing conversation. Don’t get me wrong, I miss my granny, so much, I miss her taking care of me, I miss her and I love her of course, more than anyone else. She had done so many things to me, and did not give up, in comparison to my father, her son and my mother, her daughter-in-law, who did not give a shit after throwing their daughter to NYC to study, what a lame excuse to cover everything and hide all the bullshit from me. I scoffed at those memories and nightmares.