Ripples of Thunder

The pain had been there so long that I couldn't remember NOT feeling it. If I tried to keep track of where I'd been hurt, I would say my head, foot, and fingers, but there was a pain in my chest too that indicated that there was probably a few broken ribs. I hated to let them win, and to give them what they wanted, but they forced it onto me. They wanted me to be afraid, and while at first I had resisted, now they were winning.

But how could I possibly fight back? Everything led back to breaking more of my bones. I had no hope of fighting them, that was obvious, because their advantage was strength and speed. I had no chance. And I had given up on arguing, too, since that also led to them lashing out at me. I just wanted this to be over, whether it being over resulted in my death, or being finally at home. Either way, the pain would stop. I wasn't sure I cared which one was my fate.

I wasn't the only one growing impatient. Damien seemed to be - surprisingly - getting bored with just hurting me. At first, it had been a game, and there had been a certain light in his eyes whenever I argued back enough for him to crush my bones, and now that light was fading. Apparently, my screams of pain weren't enough to satisfy him anymore. Sick bastard.

I'd been here for close to a week, I was sure of that. It could have even been more, I wasn't sure. I didn't want to imagine what I looked like. The bleeding on my head had stopped - I didn't know when - but not before the blood had soaked through my hair. The floor was also dirty, meaning I was covered in dust and mud from head to toe. I hadn't slept much either - shocker - and I could practically feel the dark circles underneath my eyes. I felt like hell, and if I looked anything like I felt, then it wasn't pretty.

Then again, why did it matter? I was going to die anyway, might as well go down with a fight, or rather that it had looked like it.

My days - or nights, whatever time of the day it was - consisted of laying on the floor staring at the ceiling. There was a near constant chatter from Alorec and Damien, but I mostly zoned out.

That was, at least, until their conversation caught my attention.

"... I think you need to relax, brother." Alorec shook his head, his voice dripping with boredom. He sounded like he was enjoying our time together just as much as I was.

"And what if they don't come? They have a whole town to watch over, you know. They're not stupid. What if this girl doesn't mean as much to them as we thought." I didn't need to be a genius to know that the 'girl' was me, and he was talking about the wolves coming to find me like they wanted. Little did Damien know, I was having the same worry. What if Sam did decide that my life didn't matter, considering his main concern was to protect many people. What if he thought that by saving me, it would put the rest of the town at risk? Were they really going to come?

"Don't underestimate her, Damien." Alorec warned, and I could feel their eyes on me. I tried to keep my eyes directed at the ceiling, pretending I wasn't listening. "I've been watching these mutts as closely as I can when I'm out, you know. The youngest one.. He's determined. He's fiery. He wants this, wants her back." He seemed amused by this, but I didn't care what he thought, as soon as I'd heard him speak. Jacob. He was talking about Jake. Jake was trying to find me.

My heart gave a little leap of joy, and I had to fight my smile since I knew they were watching me. Part of me, the logical part, probably, felt sick at the thought of Jacob coming here to find me and facing these demons, but for some reason it didn't win. I was just happy that he cared enough to come for me at this point. I think I had worried too much over the past few weeks, I wasn't capable of worrying anymore.

Jacob. Jacob, Jacob, Jacob, Jacob. Jacob was coming.

Maybe I'd get s chance to get in my apology after all. I wasn't sure how this would go down, and it scared me to think that Jake would get hurt, but I tried to push those thoughts out of my mind for a little while, at least. I stared up at the ceiling again, letting my eyes drop closed as I zoned out - yet again - of their stupid conversation. I didn't care. They'd already told me everything I needed to know. Jacob was coming.

Of course, I couldn't control my irrational worries for long, and they were just starting to push their way into my mind and give me waves of anxiety, when I heard a crash from somewhere above us, and both of my kidnapper's heads snapped in the direction of the door at the top of the steps.

I seemed to freeze in fear just as much as Damien and Alorec did, because the low, and yet scarily loud growl that followed the crash echoed through the air, silencing us all. It was like a ripple of thunder, and enough to send a tremor down my spine. And yet, I knew what it was. The growl of a wolf. My wolf.

-----

Aww, poor baby.

I hope I made this clear that it's in Emma's POV, although I'm sure you figured it out. So, Jacob's there! There's not much more to say, except I'm wondering if this situation makes you as excited as it does me.

See you soon, thank you for reading.

- Author