Epilogue

- five years later -

"Jacob we gotta go!" My own voice echoed down the hallway of the apartment, bouncing off the walls and reaching his hypersensitive ears as if I was standing right next to him. I knew where he was; he was playing video games. Still, I would play dumb, and see if he took his last chance before I started twisting the rules. He didn't. 

"Gimme five minutes! I'm almost done!" His voice called back, and how muffled it was indicated to me that he was in fact still shoving potato chips into his mouth. 

I listened to the sound of my own boots on the hallway as I followed the sound of his voice and heartbeat, eventually coming to a stop in the doorway. Jake looked up from his game and shot me a dorky, childish smile to which I couldn't resist returning. "Are you still eating those nasty chips?"

"Hey, they're only nasty to you. To me, they're like heaven in a bag. Plus, we're visiting a house full of vampires, I hardly think that there will be a snack table." He raised an eyebrow at me and I fought a laugh, walking over to him and standing between his legs where he sat on the couch. With the stupidest grin on his face, Jacob's warm hands planted on my waist and I felt the now familiar and drastic change in temperature between us. 

"Chief Swan will be there?" I offered, tilting my head and smiling as he took hold of my ice cold hand and planted kisses against my wrist. "Okay now you're just trying to get out of going, Black." I muttered, but my voice was quieter and lower, my eyes fixated on what he was doing. If he was trying to distract me, it was working, and Jake knew it. 

He got to his feet and I was overwhelmed by his scent, a scent that would've repulsed me years ago, and was now a pure representation of my home. Any other wolf still smelt disgusting to me, but I was perfectly tuned to Jake's unique smell, and I could pick apart what smelt like him and what smelt like the wolf side of him. I'd trained myself, I guess you could say, to be way more in tune to the scent of him. The scent of my Jacob. 

"Maybe, why? Is it working?" I could hear the smirk in his voice but didn't see it, because my eyes had closed by how close his face suddenly was to mine. And then he kissed me, and I was struck by the same overpowering desire that I always was.

What was once an overwhelming desire to rip Jacob apart was now a constant want for him, and something that neither of us could've seen coming. Maybe it was the imprint, maybe it wasn't, but every time he touched me it felt like my body would burst into flames of desire. Every time he was near me we gravitated towards each other, and every part of my skin that his hands brushed against would be lit on fire. The pure scent of Jacob would take over me and every move I made from then on would be entirely unstoppable. We'd known that we'd be able to work on control, but we didn't know that the result would be that good. But it was. We were like teenagers, unable to keep our hands off of each other for longer than a few hours at first, so that was another thing that needed to be worked on. The problem was, Jake knew the effect that he had on me, and he was using it to his own advantage - not that I minded. 

I would've let him convince me right then and there that it was a better idea to stay in all afternoon than to go out, but I really did want to go, so I literally forced myself to pull away from his lips and untangled myself from his strong arms. 

The pout that I was greeted with when I did so was comical. "I thought I was winning."

"Please, Jacob, do you honestly think anything could keep me away from their place today?" I grinned at him, and watching smooth down his now slightly creased shirt as I reached for my jacket. 

His smile mirrored my own. "Worth a shot. Now, cmon, or the guest of honour will be mad at me for making you late." At just the mention of her, I was racing at vamp speed towards the door and leaving Jacob laughing behind me.