Crisis Averted

"Some girl at the beach was asking for Jake's number yesterday," Embry commented as we walked. I was staring down at the gravel beneath my feet, and we'd been walking in comfortable silence for at least a few minutes. Em and I did that a lot. Although HE was in a pack, we both had this thing where we sort of needed to space ourselves a little. I liked the quiet, and apparently so did he, so we'd walk around outside for a while. Strange, but I liked it. Embry was nice to be around, so easy to just chat with. I was grateful for that.

I turned my head to look at him. The statement didn't surprise me, because I'd SEEN girls looking at Jacob, looking at all of them, because in all honesty they did all look like freaking male models. It was kind of annoying to be the only pale, normal and non supernatural one around there at times. "Oh yeah?" I laughed, tilting my head.

"Mhm. She asked ME for it, and I said no, because I figured you guys kinda had something going on-"

"We don't." I told him, probably faster than I should've done. Embry looked at me with that face that just plainly read 'sureeee' and I huffed at him. "I'm serious! Jake's my friend, and the imprint doesn't change that."

"It kinda does, stupid." Embry nudged my arm with a soft laugh. "It's supposed to, or at least you're supposed to feel stronger. Seriously, that doesn't make you jealous in the slightest?"

Did it? Nawh, the feeling in my stomach was just me being protective over Jake, like I was with all the guys. That's it. "No, Embry, and maybe that kills your mental fantasy of the two of us, but I'm sorry it's true." I muttered, shaking my head. "If Jake wants to be with a girl, it has absolutely nothing to do with me."

"I don't have mental fantasies!" Embry protested, throwing his hands up.

I smirked. "Please, Call, you're basically a fanboy." I teased him, and he nudged me again.

We were silent for another minute. "You don't think you'll ever like him?" Embry asked, glancing over at me.

I sighed. Would I? Sure, Jake made me feel WHOLE, and he was usually the one person I needed to see when I was upset, but that was just the imprint, right? If Jacob didn't want THAT, then I would push all of that back to give him space with whichever damn girl he wanted. Or at least, that's what I would tell Embry. But.. Did I like Jake? "I don't know," I mumbled, kicking the gravel under my feet in pure frustration.

"Ha!" Embry yelled, pointing a finger at me, but the death glare I shot him quickly shut him up. "Sorry sorry sorry! I'm just saying, I'm usually right. And I am." He hummed triumphantly.

I knew Embry and I knew his big mouth. If I didn't steer him away for that thought entirely, I'd walk in to Sam and Emily's and they'd all think I was getting freaking married by noon. Embry could exaggerate, and he could do it well, and the last thing I wanted was for the whole pack to tease me about it. Em was a great friend, but it was never him that I would tell secrets. So, the next few words that left my mouth were a lie, and I lied like hell. "No, Em. Jake can do what he wants. This is just the imprint talking, Kay? Nothing's changed, and Jacob is literally like my brother. I don't like him."

I got a deep sense of satisfaction when his face fell. Okay, so this was working. "Oh." He sighed.

Perfect. I'd fixed it. Now, the only gossip he'd be telling the others, specifically Jared, was that I didnt have feelings for Jacob. And that would be the end of all of the teasing. I grinned at him, ruffling his hair. "Sorry to burst your bubble, Call. But I gotta go," I told him, swiftly kissing his cheek and taking off at a jog back to my car.

I'd known Jared was desperately waiting to tease me about Jacob, and I'd just shot down all of that hope. Embry would return to them and blab about everything I'd just said, and I'd never be teased about it. Emma: 1. Jared: 0.