Chapter Twenty-Two

Chapter Twenty-Two

I did not expect to receive the level of attention we got when walking into school on the first day of spirit week. Our hair was done the same and we rocked the fall look, but with a slight difference in our outfits. Laura wore a cropped white sweater that was high enough to show her pierced belly button, a short red skirt with a thin brown belt at her hips, tattoo leggings that looked like thigh-highs with polka dots, and we all wore the same brown boots.

Kaitlyn wore the same cropped sweater, red high-waist shorts with a thin brown belt, and tattoo leggings that had tiny hearts on them. My sweater was a little off my shoulders and not as cropped, my skirt was high-waist, and my leggings had the Eiffel tower on them, thanks to Leanne. I decided to leave my regular blue back pack at home and went for a more feminine shoulder bag that matched my cute new shoes, a gold charm bracelet, and my locket.

Of course, our arrival and the attention we got as we made our way to my locker didn't go unnoticed by Shelby, Natalia and their two friends. A sigh came from behind me as I turned the dial to put in my locker combination.

"Nina, always the attention whore," Natalia drawled. "You all look pathetic." I turned around and looked at their outfits. They all wore the same sleeveless floral crop top, ripped jeans, and nude wedges. Though it wasn't an outfit I would've worn, they looked nice.

"You look nice too, Natalia," I genuinely complimented, ignoring her attempt at insulting me. "But honestly, I think it's ironic how you're saying I'm the attention whore when I've seen you do some pretty low things just so you could have people look your way." I packed my bag with books for my first few classes.

"It's amazing that you think you're still the most popular girl just because of your amateur modeling. Try getting your retarded brother to start talking instead of showing your makeup caked face around the school," she said with a smile.

Laura and Kaitlyn gently touched my arm. I told them about my brother when we went shopping yesterday, and they understood. "It's called PTSD from seeing the dead body of his parents. I'm pretty sure everyone in the school has it from looking at your face every fucking day." Without another word, I slammed my locker shut and walked down the hallway to my homeroom with Laura and Kaitlyn.

After sitting at my desk for a few minutes, Laura broke the silence. "I didn't know you curse."

"I don't actually. She just gets under my skin. I can take her dissing me, but not my brother," I explained. I looked at my phone. "You guys should get to your homeroom if you don't want to be late."

Kaitlyn stood and gave me a brief hug and a smile before leaving with Laura. The bell rung and twins walked into the classroom dressed exactly alike. Brown boots, black pants, grey shirt, and a plaid jacket. They looked like one of them was copied and pasted with just a difference in hair color. It made me wonder if Daniel had dyed his hair, or Damian had bleached his hair. When they sat down, Daniel gave me a small smile. So much for not wanting to participate.

The day dragged on and at lunch, I helped to take pictures of students who were dressed alike for the projected slide show that was going to be shown on Friday at the pep rally. Neither Shelby nor Natalia bothered me and my friends for the rest of the day.

Unfortunately, I had a Girls Talk club meeting after school. Girls Talk was a support group for girls no matter what they were dealing with. I had joined it after Shelby had become my ex best friend and I really liked it, but we were four days away from Friday and they hadn't sorted out what they were going to do for the pep rally. In my opinion, the rally didn't need any more events. There were going to be games, introduction of sports teams, a speech by the headmaster, a senior march, step team performances, a cheerleading performance, the teachers were going to do something of their own, and the band was going to play; in no specific order.