Part 14

Sister

"Doc, is she okay?" Baltimore's voice woke me up.

Iminulat ko ang mata at napakurap-kurap pa ng tumama ang nakakasinag na ilaw sa itaas. Nang makapag-adjust ay isang imahe ng lalakeng may singkit at katamtamang ilong ang dumungaw sa akin.

Agad akong nag-iwas ng mukha.

"Are you feeling alright? May masakit ba sayo? Shit... shit, shit, shit... bakit hindi mo sinabe sa akin na may allergy ka pala sa peanut!?" He said and helped me sit up.

"Good day, Ms. Lieberg... you just needed some rest and then you can go home afterward." The Doctor said and smiled.

Tumango ako at saka inalis ang nakakumot sa akin.

"W-wait! Hindi kapa pupwedeng umalis! The doctor said you needed some rest!" Angil niya ngunit nakatayo na ako.

"Hey!" He called and I heared his footsteps coming forward.

"Where are you going? I called Mr. Black and told the situation, he said it's okay to -"

I stopped mid track. Where am I going? There is one place I wanted to go right now.

I resumed my tracks that leaded the way out of the hospital. Agad akong pumara ng taxi at hinintay na huminto ito sa harap ko.

"I have my car, I can go with you..." Baltimore said but I didn't mind him as if he wasn't there.

Pumasok ako at isasara na sana ang pinto nang humarang ang kaniyang kamay.

"Wait... ughh, this is so-" he said and then jerked himself in the cab.

While on the ride, we didn't speak and the only person who was speaking was the DJ on the radio greeting everyone and telling corny jokes.

Kinapa ko ang bulsa para sana ihanda ang ipambabayad kaso wala akong nakapa.

Napapikit ako, shoot! My wallet is in my bag!

"Hey, can I borrow a - " I stopped when I saw Baltimore beside me so stiff.

Parang hindi na siya humihinga at ang noo ay may umaagos na mga patak ng pawis.

Nang tumigil ang sasakyan ay agad siyang bumaba at rinig kopa ang hiningang kanyang pinakawalan na para bang kay tagal niyang pinigilan iyon. Bumaba ako at kinalabit siya.

He turned to me, his pale face still visible.

"Can you... pay the uhmm... because I haven't got any money... here." I said and looked at other directions to avoid his eyes.

This is so embarrassing!

"We should've just ride my car, you know... but, what are you gonna do here?" He said while giving the driver a 1,000 pesos cash.

"Ser, wala ho ba kayong barya?" The driver asked.

"Keep the change..." he said and looked at the area.

Ang kalsada dito ay hindi masyadong dinadaanan ng mga sasakyan. I walk through the path I recognize. Patungo ito sa itaas ng bundok.

The afternoon breeze is refreshing compared to the airconditioned office of the company and the sun wasn't harsh at our skin.

On the way to the top of the mountain, puro angal nalang ang narinig ko mula kay Baltimore.

"Malayo paba?" He said and loosened up his necktie.

"Malapit na..." I said and continued walking.

Makalipas ang limang minuto ay nagsalita nanaman siya.

"How near is near?" He said and pant.

"Here..." I absentmindedly said and looked at the view, mesmerized by it.

The cherry blossom was dancing to where the wind was going. I walked a little bit and sat down under the shady narra tree.

"Goodness!" Baltimore said and sat beside me.

He was wiping his sweats on the sleeves of his coat. Paano siya hindi pagpapawisan, e balot na balot.

While laying on the shade of this tree, I felt all the pressure and the sadness I am feeling faded away. It was like feeling the comfort of home.

For some reason, Baltimore wasn't making any inappropriate noise. When I looked at him, I saw his chinky brown eyes directed to me. Para bang kanina niya pa ako pinagmamasdan.

I looked up and closed my eyes. Images of my beautiful sister flooded my view. Kung saan ay narito pa siya... I bet she'll grow more beautiful kung hindi lamang ipinagkait sa kaniya ang mabuhay...

"My sister's in here..." I said, for some reason, I have decided to tell him this.

"O-oh... I'm sorry. You must have... missed her a lot." He said and cleared his voice.

"Yeah, I do. It seems like I will never get used to it... you know, without her..." She's like my other half.

And right now, I know for certain, that I will never fill this half of me again, ever.

"She must've been beautiful too, like her sister is." Baltimore said.

My eyes started to water.

I wished, maybe a million times, that I was the one who died. Because I was never father's favorite. After ate was... gone, father started to work day and night. And that is what he used to get to where he is right now. Father never scolded me before for not wanting to achieve goals like him but one time, my heart sank lower and almost in the ground when he said that I was a disgrace for him.

"You, designer, think of how that will sound to my colleagues when they heard of it. It would be a big joke! Don't be a disgrace for me and this family! Mabuti pa ang ate mo!"

And then we'll arrive at the million 'mabuti pa ang ate mo...' . I wasn't mad at her for making me this kind of image to dad. Sometimes, I wish that the tables would change. That I was the one who died and not ate. For I am less valuable and a trophy than her.

I lost track on time and found myself riding inside Baltimore's car. He called his new secretary to fetch us from where we are because, damn, no cabs were wandering in that place.

Unlike the ride in the cab, Baltimore was more relaxed. So relaxed that he was banging his head as the music hyped.

He dropped me at the entrance of the company.

"See you tomorrow, Ms. Lieberg." He said and winked at me.

I waved at him until the car was gone. Pagod akong umakyat paitaas at sumakay ng elevator. The floors were busy and didn't recognized my presence. Nang makarating sa opisina ay itinulak ko pabukas ang pinto. The lights was off.

Kinapa ko ito sa gilid and the lights went on.

"So, did you have a nice date with him?"