Chapter seventeen

Chapter seventeen; The Old Marshall

"Marshall has escaped.." Peppermint maid and four other guards rushed into my room breathless. "The whole room... It's been torn down. 442 candy people died 2,423 of them remain.."

I stood there motionless and took a breath noticing I had been holding it in. This was it; I'd have to kill Marshall. The one I love; my own hands around the knife that will be placed into his chest.

"Sir?" Peppermint maid gently laid her hand on my shoulder and I shrugged it off.

"Signal the warning call and send all of the remaining candy people to Plan B. And get my gear ready for the killing." I just stood there not daring to look at them. "Yes sir." Their footsteps were fainter and fainter until I knew they were out of the room.

Not long after they left, I broke into tears. I couldn't stop them, and I couldn't stop what had to be done. I had to kill Marshall for my people, who think of me as the mighty prince who shall keep them all safe. And it's all my damn fault.

I know why he escaped. He wants me and me only. Of course, because I remember it like it was yesterday. He told me he would kill me. And he meant it.

I would never think that Marshall would become so heartless, so cold like the cold winter breeze. The sweet, talkative, annoyingly Marshall Lee insane? No, I wouldn't have thought of him like this.

I love Marshall with all my heart, but I can't see why I have to be put through this pain. Why I have to kill him? It just makes me look like the bad guy.

I sighed wiping the fresh tears off my face and plopped onto my bed. A picture floated up and landed on my hand gracefully. I picked it up and I gasped in pain. There, me and Fiona were smiling with Marshall in the background playing his bass. The night I told Marshall I loved him. Boys night.

The whole thing that started this. Marshall was wearing his usual getup; skinnys and his boy's night t-shirt. He was smirking but his attention wasn't focused on the camera. It was on me. His eyes filled with amusement along with a loving gaze. I miss the old Marshall.

~~I woke up to something playing very loudly in my room. Rubbing my eyes I looked around. There, in the corner was someone I'd never thought to see ever again. Marshall in his usual jeans and red plaid shirt and chucks. His delicate hands gracefully played the song he made for me. His gaze slowly followed up to mine. At first, his expression softened and then turned into a menacing snarl.

"YOU MADE ME LIKE THIS! You never loved me, you lied! LIED! You ripped my heart right out of my chest! you played with me! All I was, was your boy toy. I hate you. I WANT YOU TO DIE!" He then lurched towards me and grabbed my neck. "I love you Bubba." he kissed me and the blackness washed over me. ~~

Gasping, I sat up in my bed soaked from my excessive sweating. I just want this to end. I clasped my hands over my face and fell back down on my back.