Chapter 17

Rory was pissed.
Her cheeks burned fire as she sat in her desk at the newspaper. Her stomach seared with acid every time she thought about what was going on. Jess had taken off, left town, skipped the ultrasound, and texted her once to ask how she was feeling. Typical Jess. Luke seemed to have done the same. Clearly the apple had not fallen far from the tree in this case. She texted Jess back a full twenty-four hours after he texted her.
I AM FINE.

Hopefully he would pick up that she was anything but fine.
She had been ignoring Logan's phone calls and texts for a few days. She pulled up his email every day.
Today was the day the plane would leave. It was noon, she could leave at 4. It would take her an hour to get to the airport. There was still time to get out of Stars Hollow, even if it was for a few days. Sighing, she clicked out of her email. She had a few more minutes to decide.
She slid into her coat, picking up her purse. It was a brisk day, typical for fall in Connecticut. She waved to her coworkers on her way out the door. They didn't acknowledge her leaving.

Stepping into Luke's, she felt the warmth of a pancake wave of air drifting over her. Cesar looked rather frazzled behind the register.
Sliding up to him, she narrowed her eyes.
"Where is Luke?" Rory demanded.
Cesar looked at her, his expression unreadable.
"I don't know, so I'm following the plan." He said shortly.
"What plan?" Rory asked, spinning the salt shaker in the caddy.
"Luke had a plan for if something ever happened where he couldn't come in. It's in a binder and everything," he said, rubbing his forehead and disappearing behind the counter quickly.
Concerned, Rory started to lean over the counter to check if he had passed out or something.
He popped back up, startling her. He slid a black binder across the counter at her.
Rory flipped it open.

A CONTINGENCY PLAN FOR LUKE'S IN LUKE DANES' ABSENCE

STEP ONE- CALL LORELEI AND FIND OUT WHERE LUKE IS

Rory shut the binder with a snap. She couldn't read anymore. She studied Cesar's face. His eyes betrayed the same worry that creased her forehead. She left towards home.