NEW TECHNOLOGY:

?'s P.O.V:

How boring, I have to work on Christmas of all days.

But if crime doesn't sleep, then neither should I.

*Sigh*

I don't know how many years it has been since I became a bounty hunter, I didn't really have much of a choice or anywhere else to go so I thought... why not?

Sure, I'll enroll in a training program designed to turn troubled individuals into men of the law.

I work independently with my associate, Sky. Though I use the term 'independently' loosely, because it doesn't look that way for much longer.

When the word gets to the FBI about your perfect track record, it's sure to open windows of opportunity for you.

CLIENT: "Ah yes, Ryder, is it? Bounty hunter. Not one of your targets has escaped your pursuit. Impressive."

RYDER: "Thanks. I would disclose my real name, but I have my reasons not to do so."

CLIENT: "That doesn't matter, as far as the FBI goes you're Ryder to us and nothing more, got that?"

RYDER: "I wouldn't have it any other way."

CLIENT: "Ryder, your impressive record has recently ground to a halt. You're not taking as many cases as you used to. Is there any reason for such a hiatus?"

RYDER: "You should know, I'm constantly bored of the same old thing. And besides, I have a job to take care of as a father."

CLIENT: "Oh, you have children?"

RYDER: "One. I fear for his safety. This world is one mistake away from total chaos. People in their high towers, corrupt politicians, new technologies... Back in my day, weapons could wipe out cities. Now? They can wipe out countries."

CLIENT: "Not just weapons of physical destruction, Ryder. Out there are those who wish to use technology for psychological destruction."

RYDER: "20 years ago, Westchester. Guy named André Davenport. That was the first case of this technology being used."

CLIENT: "Funny how you should mention that... Because I have a case for you to investigate."

RYDER: "Interesting, what is it?"

CLIENT: "A city has seen several cases of unsettling behavior. Teenagers are reported missing and then resurface without a scratch one week later."

RYDER: "Strange. Physicality they're unharmed, but psychologically?"

CLIENT: "You're starting to get it. Their behavioral patterns are different, they adopt new habits like smoking, drinking, stealing, vandalism. I'm willing to bet that someone within that city has access to that same kind of technology that Davenport used.
I want you to live in the city for a while and track down the culprit."

RYDER: "I'll do it, but what city is it?"

CLIENT: "Westchester."

RYDER: "...Not interested."

BOSS: "Come on, Ryder. You're the best in the business. Your skills surpass most of our field agents. You want to make the world safer for your kid, right?"

RYDER: "He's not a kid, he's a teenager."

CLIENT: "The target demographic. What if this culprit spread his knowledge across the nation? It would spell darkness and despair for everyone."

RYDER: "Yet here is an opportunity to stop this operation before it grows?"

CLIENT: "You wanted something new and exciting right? We'll move you and your son into the city, your taxes and living costs will be covered by the agency."

RYDER: "Fine... I accept."

And now I find myself in a completely new predicament. Fantastic...

SKY: "Looking forward to moving there?"

RYDER: "You know damn well that I don't..."

SKY: "Relax, it could be fun. You, me, my husband... It'll be just like when we first met!"

RYDER: "Great, I'm sure that he will be thrilled to see me again..."

SKY: "Could you at least be a little optimistic? You're back to square one again, like how you were the day that I met you. Always bored and not caring about anything. I'm sure that a trip to Westchester will return you to the way that you were."

RYDER: "Sky... That side of me is dead, it was an illusion that I created out of silly things like hope and affection. This was the real me in the beginning, this will be the real me in the end..."

SKY: "I understand... But retreating into things like drinking? It doesn't leave a good impression on your son."

RYDER: *Sigh* "You don't understand."