Twenty Nine

"I'm not dropping the charges," Ally stated firmly, "And if you want me to do so then you better give me reason why I should believe a mentally challenged person's confession over Lauren."

"There is nothing to suggest that he is-" Camila started only to be interrupted by Ally again.

"Shut it, Cabello, you don't even have any grounds to actually be in this office right now," Ally snapped.

Camila huffed then held her hands up in defeat. Dinah shook her head at the exchange and went up to Ally comforting, "Calm down, okay, take a breather. We're going to sort this out," Dinah said whilst looking at Ally soothingly. She could see the shorter girl had tears building in her eyes, clearly she was just stressed by the whole situation, and feeling an intense pressure for action which is causing her to act harshly.

Ally closed her eyes for a few seconds, taking a few deep breaths while she began to slowly nod her head. "I'm sorry," Ally softly said from closed eyes, then finally turned to Camila to give her an apologetic smile.

"It's fine," Camila replied, "In many ways, you're right," Camila added while looking over nervously at that Captain who was finishing up his talk with the mayor right outside the office. There was all smiles between the two, but that didn't mean either of them were actually happy. It didn't mean either of them were laid back about this either, Camila knew that both of them of the smiles were fake and hid their clear aggravation at the current state of the case.

"Can we run through the evidence, particularly start with your story of Logan? We are going to need a clear and solid point to charge Logan rather than Lauren if you want me to be able to completely drop the charges on her."

Dinah nodded, "Okay, let me start from the beginning. I got to Logan through his sister, after getting her information through a confidential source, I sat down and got her to tell me about Logan. His whereabouts and everything, it turns out he actually doesn't have a steady home, he lives in his car but usually crashes at Lauren's house. When I got to Logan, it didn't take long for him to start telling me everything. He told me he dated Abigail for approximately 11 months, and they had a blossoming relationship that was a complete secret, until one day, a week before her death, Abigail's father found him and her in Abigail's room. Obviously, because of the fact that he is tied to the Jauregui family, the father disapproved of him, and that is when their relationship went south very quickly. Fast forward to the night of the murder, Logan and Abigail were in his car when they decided to walk, Abigail breaks up with him during this walk and Logan, well, he doesn't fully remember what got into him, what set him off, he doesn't remember pushing Abigail, let alone hard enough for her to fall. All he remembers was looking down and she was on the floor with blood pouring out of her head."

"So he runs to Lauren and somehow she decides to take the blame for all of this?" Eric continues, now he and the captain have joined the three girls as they all sat at a table in front of a blank drawing board. "I don't get it, what's the motive behind that? Behind her taking the blame? And why would he let her?"

Dinah bit her tongue at her annoyance of both Eric's general presence and the fact that he interrupted her run through, and simply answered his question while ironically looking at everyone else but him. "The motive for Lauren taking the blame was simple, she didn't want to see her brother go to jail. She felt like he's already been put through enough when it comes to the system and obviously, Logan didn't want to have to go to jail either. You saw him in there, the kid is sensitive, fragile, I can just imagine how he looked that early morning while talking to Lauren about what he had done. Like a scared, little boy, and Lauren made him feel better by simply saying she'd take care of it."

Camila looked down in thought, could that really have been it? Were there other reasons behind Lauren's motive for taking the blame for a crime her brother did? Camila thought about what Lauren said and she could imagine Lauren saying those words in comfort to her brother, that she would take care of it all, she could imagine it but she still wanted to know if it was the whole truth. Unfortunately, Camila knows now, with the exchange she just had with Lauren in that interrogation, that the time for her to talk to her about this may have already expired. Her time with Lauren, in general, may have already expired.