A New Friend?

I woke up around six in morning. Looking in the mirror while getting ready, I kept on thinking what happened the last day. Every day, I feel like dying. The feeling to sleep forever. I needed friends, at least someone. Someone to hold me to make sure my cracked pieces don't fall apart. Every single day, I see people with the ones they care about, smiling. I just wished that someday, just someday, I could feel the same. But for someone like me, it felt like asking for too much. Brushing the thoughts away, I got ready for school. But even so, I got late. After packing my bag, I left immediately.

On my way to school, because my mind was flooded with thoughts, I stumbled upon a rock and fell. My leg started bleeding again but I had no time to wash the wound. I had to reach school as soon as possible. Just as I started to look for my notebook for conversations, I saw someone looking at it. He had blue eyes and a bright smile on the face.

"Hey! Are you alright?" I nodded and smiled back. I pointed at my notebook for conversations, asking to return it to me.

"Oh yeah, sorry! By the way, what's your name?" I quickly took out a pen from my bag and wrote down my name down.

"Iris! Nice name" I smiled. Someone finally talked to me after a long time. I really wanted to talk more but he said he was getting late for school so I waved and said bye. I reached school on time which was great. I washed the blood away and applied a band-aid. When I reached my class, a smile appeared on my face. It was him.

"Hey Iris!" I waved at him and sat beside him. He asked for my notebook so I handed it to him.

"I'm new here! And what a coincidence!" I had to admit, his handwriting was amazing. It felt great to smile after such a long time... After such a long time, someone asked my name. Oh that reminded me, I hadn't asked his name!

"By the way, what's your name?"

"Evan :)" That smiley face made me smile again. After some time, it was recess and as usual, I took out my book and started reading it. I really loved this book and had even read it twice before. But I always feel like reading it again and again. It reminds me of myself, my problems and my life. Although I feel like my life is hell, all hopes aren't lost. I've still got a little hope that life would change. And so, I read this book, to remind myself that a story could have a happy ending in reality too. Just as I was about to finish the last line of page number 211, someone snatched the book from me. I looked up and faced my classmate, Serene.

"Ugh! Trying to make yourself happy by reading?" I read her lips.

I smiled because that was kind of true.

"I hate that look on your face. You know that right?" After saying so, she raised her hand attempting to slap me. I closed my eyes, not knowing what to do. Why was I so weak? But I didn't feel the pain. I opened my eyes and saw someone holding her hand, stopping her. It was him again.

"And I hate it when someone tries to hurt my friends." Did Evan just call me his friend?