1

I stepped off from the bus and sighed as I took in the appearance of the hardware store in front of me. The only bus stop in town was at this spot. I knew this well. I had left this small town with the notion of never returning. And yet, here I am.

My father, a werewolf like myself, and the Alpha of his pack, had passed away recently and I was his only heir.

I pulled the duffel bag over my shoulders and righted my uniform. I turned right and started my path up the slope to where my father's old house was. Looking at my watch I could see that I was already late for the funeral, so I stepped into a comfortable jog towards my destination. I tossed the duffel bag onto the porch and jogged around towards the family cemetery. The sight around the cemetery would have shocked me, were it not for the fact that my father had been a respected Alpha male who was highly regarded by his people and fellow Alphas.

Around the grave were about three Alphas with their mates and Betas, both the male and female Betas. Some warriors that smelt slightly like them were scattered in the crowd my father's pack had formed. I pushed into the crowd before stepping through them and approaching the grave. My Father's Beta stepped up to stop me, until I pulled my cap from my head, giving him a nod. He stared at me for a good moment before stepping aside.

I took a moment to assess the coffin that had already been lowered as the preacher drilled on in his deliverance.

The Beta approached me first with the blessed sands that I was to 'sprinkle' over the coffin.

I reluctantly stuck out my hand and took some of the sand, quickly tossing it onto the coffin. A few stares came my way, as tradition held that the closest family or friends were always first to toss the sand as a last farewell. Well, this was only the human ceremony. As tradition holds, a ceremony would be held where those who attend were to have a hunt in their wolf skins, painting one another with the blood of the kills and asking the moon goddess to safely carry the fallen one across to the moon with the sacrifice of the hunt. This all happens two days before the human ceremony, so undoubtedly I had missed that.

The Alphas soon nodded their heads towards me, a sign of recognition as to who I was. I had no doubt that they also knew that I had been missing, according to them, since I was seventeen, which was approximately almost eight years ago. After the entire pack had tossed sand on the coffin after the other Alphas and Betas.

After the ceremony a barbecue, to feed all the wolves, was held. I was approached by Ferdinand, my deceased father's Beta.

"Shall we meet with the Alphas and council now?"

Ah, yes. They were going to decide what to do with the pack. I was still unmated and there was no other heir. Law states that I am either to wed another Alpha Male or a Beta Male; or the pack is to be given to another Alpha and his heirs. As only Alpha left to rule this pack, it was the only choices they would ever present me with.

I nodded, still refusing to speak, and followed him inside towards the large meeting room attached to the Alpha's office. The scent of the three attending Alphas and their male Betas mixed with the scent of four other rather powerful wolves.

I entered with Ferdinand in tow, all eyes turning to me.

I sat down in my designated chair with Fernando on my right. I gave them a curt nod and waved my hand to tell them to proceed.

"On this day we have buried a beloved friend and pillar of support. With the only heir to Penacle Peak Pack present, we will now begin the discussion..."

The elder's voice drilled on in a monotonous manner. I listened carefully as they discussed specifics, such as the rate of pack birth and death, the landscape the pack owns, the type of wildlife in and around the pack.